• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker, Selous, Tanzania, October 2011 (1 Viewer)

PJSharp

Dear all,

A query from e-bird regarding a record of Nubian Woodpecker Woodpecker from October 2011 in the Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania has prompted me to look back at some of my photo's and notes from the trip.

The suggestion from e-bird is that Reichenow's (Bennet's/Speckle-throated) Woodpecker would be more likely in this area - at the time I noted both on the trip.

I think the first picture (30 October) is a male Reichenow's Woodpecker, based on bill colour (yellow in bill rather than uniform grey), and spotting in the centre of the throat which I think is just about visible. What do you think?

I think the second and third picture (29 October) is what I identified as a female Nubian Woodpecker, based on bill colour (grey) and the lack of a dark malar stripe/streaking. What do you think?

Best wishes, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4604_edit_2b.jpg
    IMG_4604_edit_2b.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Photos 2 and 3 - female Nubian Woodpecker?

Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_4346_editb.jpg
    IMG_4346_editb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4348_editc.jpg
    IMG_4348_editc.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
Must re-read field guide more carefully - lack of malar stripe is indicative of female Reichenow's rather than Nubian?

Sorry, Paul

I think they are both Nubian, male and female. No other Campethera have barred mantle like your male AFAIK, and the barred back combined with spotted forehead leads to female Nubian.

It is not easy. In Woodpeckers of the World, I see reichenowi is not barred on mantle, but on the photos I find on internet, they seem to be. Hope an expert can help.

Another female Woodpecker - Nubian or Reichenow's?

Thank you for your replies Alino - I agree they are difficult. Here is another bird from the same trip, female, yellow lower bill, but darker malar streaking. Reichenow's on the basis of bill colour?

Any experts out there who can help with these birds?

Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4223_crop.jpg
    IMG_4223_crop.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back