• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wishing for new compacts (1 Viewer)

takitam

As a user of Nikon Hgl 8x20 compacts I still have some complaints about them, the main one being the size of the exit pupil and therefore some difficulties with adjusting bins with my eyes/simply- lack of comfort. But I see many benefits of these bins, using them as a tourist rather than a birder. I still think they give better image than full sized Vortex Vipers.

I'd like to see something like 7x24( I guess 6x24 would be much less popular) for bigger 3.4mm exit pupil which should be much more comfortable to use, with bins hopefully not much bigger and heavier. Be it Nikon, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, only top quality optics would satisfy my needs8-P

What would your 'dream' compact be?

Before I decided on them I compared the Bushnell 7x26 E2 Custom Compacts to each of the 20mm binoculars you have listed and preferred their image. The only issues are that they are heavier and bulkier than the compact roofs and (if it matters to you) are not waterproof, although they seem well-built and reasonably well-sealed.

See here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=141301

As a user of Nikon Hgl 8x20 compacts I still have some complaints about them, the main one being the size of the exit pupil and therefore some difficulties with adjusting bins with my eyes/simply- lack of comfort. But I see many benefits of these bins, using them as a tourist rather than a birder. I still think they give better image than full sized Vortex Vipers.

I'd like to see something like 7x24( I guess 6x24 would be much less popular) for bigger 3.4mm exit pupil which should be much more comfortable to use, with bins hopefully not much bigger and heavier. Be it Nikon, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, only top quality optics would satisfy my needs8-P

Last edited:

takitam.
Before deciding on anything try the
Pentax Papillio 6.5x21. (your worth them)

Regards,
young Ian.

How about trying Opticron DBA 8x21 i had a look through these recently and was very impressed as i wear glasses around £200 .
Harold

takitam.
Before deciding on anything try the
Pentax Papillio 6.5x21. (your worth them)

I wouldn't say these were a dream compact (the FOV is not great and the view is not fantastic) but they are a very unique compact.

Rather a different class of bin: more a portable long range binocular microscope than a "regular" bin.

I find birding with them rather fiddley but watching insects, flower, spiders and other small things at close range is a lot of fun.

The do make great kids bins: good kid-sized IPD and great for hunting "minibeasts" as well as birds. Perhaps a might more fragile than I'd like (for kids).

Last edited:
As I said on another post, put me down for a 7x28 Custom (or E2, whatever). If Bushnell would just bump up the obj by 2mm, for a full 4mm exit pupil, then increase fov to a full 8*, eye relief the same at 16mm, add popup eyecups from the Hemisphere and put coated coverings over the obj end to keep out dust and most moisture (ala Canon 15x50)....and I believe you'd have a 1st rate compact. Don't believe the body size wd hafta change, wt could be kept to 14oz, it'd be large enuf for a good grip but still fit any where.

IMHO, that would make a pretty decent all-around glass, as its optics are already top drawer, except for the narrow field.

In real-world use I find the 7x26 E2 rev. porro already plenty bright and with as much FOV as I need (it doesn't seem narrow, compared to my Pentax pair, for example). Optics are quite good and the twist-up eyecups work fine for me w/out glasses (although I usually use them with glasses, and the ER is fine - I get the whole field). I know these are not big sellers (at least that's what I've heard from a couple of retailers), but IMO anyone looking for compacts who hasn't tried these in person should give them a test drive. You might find your "ideal compacts" are already available, and for a good price, too.

As I said on another post, put me down for a 7x28 Custom (or E2, whatever). If Bushnell would just bump up the obj by 2mm, for a full 4mm exit pupil, then increase fov to a full 8*, eye relief the same at 16mm, add popup eyecups from the Hemisphere and put coated coverings over the obj end to keep out dust and most moisture (ala Canon 15x50)....and I believe you'd have a 1st rate compact. Don't believe the body size wd hafta change, wt could be kept to 14oz, it'd be large enuf for a good grip but still fit any where.

IMHO, that would make a pretty decent all-around glass, as its optics are already top drawer, except for the narrow field.

Thanks for suggesting reverse porros, I've tried nikon 8x25 of this kind, and although optically they're good I really prefer top class roofs, for both their size and quality.

But it seems that not many people would be interested in buying top class 7x25 roof, so it is not likely to be released, I suppose.

I think I'll have to stick to my Nikon for quite some time, and I guess I'm not going to be unhappy with this biocular8-P

I think I'll have to stick to my Nikon for quite some time, and I guess I'm not going to be unhappy with this biocular8-P

Optically the HGLs are top.
But how do you like them mechanically? No problem with the hinges/barrels?
When I tried them, I found the hinges to be too "soft", i.e. the barrels moved too easily. There were two units, and both of them showed the same "behaviour".
The diopter dial also moved too readily for my taste.

Tom

Optically the HGLs are top.
But how do you like them mechanically? No problem with the hinges/barrels?

Tom

The right hinge is perfect on mine- smooth and with good tension. Left hinge is a little looser, its smooth and keeps its position well, but its just worse than the right one. Regarding the diopter, I really don't know how it would perform as I keep it on 0 setting. I have 0.25 difference between my eyes, but whenever I try to set the diopter, its always worse than on 0. Maybe it should be a little stiffer but I really cannot say. There is also about 0.5x0.5 cm of loose rubber covering. And when I look into right barrel I see some paint seriously scratched on that protruding metal 'circle' inside.

It bothered me that much that I returned the binocular, and ordered another one, which had neither of these flaws but It wasn't fully comfortable to view through. So I ordered the first one again8-P and decided to accept these annoyances which do not really annoy me anymore because the bins are comfortable to look through and I don't 'baby' with them anymore, I just use them whenever I want to, and remeber to take them with me8-P

I shall finish my ranting by saying that although I had thought that top class items should be 'perfect'(and I still think and expect them to be) I learned here and elsewhere that it rarely happens and even best products usually have minor flaws, unfortunately;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back