• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter birding Southern Netherlands (2 Viewers)

GMS

Dear all,

I’m planning a day trip to Holland to see some of the rarities and winter guests present there.

The website waarneming.nl is great for updates on what is around and gives the general area of where the birds can be seen but not the exact points from where the birds are seen easiest/best.

The proposed agenda is:

White-headed Duck - Reeuwijksche Plassen - Surfplas / Plas Broekvelden
Bufflehead - Barendrecht - Gaatkensplas
Lesser White-fronted Goose - Oudeland van Strijen
Black Brant - Polder Burgh- en Westland - west
Pale-bellied Brent Goose - Polder Burgh- en Westland - west
Common Crane - Polder Burgh- en Westland - west
Iceland and Glaucous Gull - Oosterscheldekering - Neeltje Jans - west
Greater Yellowlegs - Colijnsplaat - Valkreek en bosje

Could anyone please give me the best observation points for these ? GPS-coordinates would be great but any description or link to a map would be much appreciated too.

Other species we would be interested in seeing are Barnacle, White-fronted, Pink-footed and Bean Geese, Whooper and Bewick’s Swan, Smew, Scaup, Twite, Shorelark and Snow Bunting, Rough-legged Buzzard, Black-necked , Slavonian and Red-necked Grebe, etc….

Do we need to go to specific sites for these or will they be (easily) observed at any of the places listed above.

Are there any Red-breasted Geese with good credentials in the Southern part ?

The above itinerary looks doable but what do the locals think of it ?

Any help with the above would be much appreciated.

Via waarneming.nl you can see the GPS coordinates and you are able plan a route via google maps. Just take a look below the map right of the entry.

You can set the language on the top right into English and are able to find any species seen lately and way back.

Good luck! Also you can ask any question on the waarneming.nl forum. Just post a message in English in Vogels (= Dutch for Birds) section.

Also you could take a look here for some nice guiding:
http://www.birdingpal.org/Netherlands.htm

Most species you mention are doable.

Last edited:
Yes, I think looking at the google maps is probably the best idea sadly!

Do not leave it too long: it is very cold and some of the birds may move! Next weekend should be OK, even if I am hoping to be ice skating not too far from there. On 11/2, it's the Dutch Birding day which could well reduce the presence of birders in the field (and probably all fresh water will have frozen by then).

Bufflehead: I've usually found it easily from the southern side of the lake. It will disappear if it freezes over (it moved away about 25 km last year).
Greater Yellowlegs: may be a similar story (it can be impossible when the ditches freeze – I missed this one the one time I tried). If it is not at the indicated location, you could try searching for it anywhere up to a mile west and north of this site.
White-headed Duck: less of a problem as it is on a very deep pit which does not freeze that fast.
Lesser White-fronts: can be tricky because they can hide quite well, but they are popular. Look at the "favourite" site first... and if you fail, it is best to methodically search the surrounding areas within the dyke that surrounds the "Oude Land" (I don't think they're ever seen away from it!)
The Brents and Crane should be easily visible. The Crane hasn't moved in months (it's injured).
I suppose the white-winged gulls can be tricky (I think they might be tidal as well).

Unmissable: Barnacle, White-fronted Goose
Quite a few about: Bean Goose (should be easy to look up a site on route)
Look up sites: Whooper and Bewick’s Swan (will be present), Smew
Any Red-breasted Goose present (three at the moment in Zeeland/Zuid-Holland) is considered genuine. They can be tricky to find!
Rough-legged Buzzard: one is present close to the Crane, but more are about (another good year)
Twite, Snow Bunting: the Oesterdam is the only published site in Zeeland. They have been targeted by bird catchers and if you find them anywhere else: do not mention them to anyone!. I am not kidding.
No chance: Pink-footed Goose (large numbers winter near Damme in Belgium), Shore Lark (only in the north), Scaup (easier in the north)
Black-necked , Slavonian and Red-necked Grebe: try the Brouwersdam ("Spuisluis" on the sea side, southern part) for the latter two (Long-tailed Duck should be there as well); Black-necked will be present on the Grevelingen but I tend to see that by crossing a major road on foot, which is not recommended.

Many thanks for the replies - really helpful.

Unfortunately we won't be able to go before the 12 Feb. Will wait with booking the crossing to see how the weather looks like next week. If everything is frozen then we probably won't go (and delay until later in Feb or March).

The Bufflehead is now seen on the (wide!) river just opposite its usual pool: I would not count on seeing it easily. The frost will disappear after this weekend.

We are trying this Sunday, starting off at the White-headed Duck and then making our way back South. Hopefully we will connect with the Bufflehead also.
Is there any info on how best to see the Gyr ? We probably won't be getting there until late afternoon.
Is there any

Sorry I didn't respond... hope you saw the Gyr (I finally saw it on Sunday, only my third attempt).

Unfortunately we didn't get to go as we were told after arriving at the ferry terminal (in time) that our ferry had already left ?! No apologies received and we were told you are on the next one 3.5h later. This was not feasible timewise so we went back home. Hopefully we will be able to try again soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back