• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is this snake looking wrinkled? (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
What is this Eastern Rat Snake (I think) doing?

It was lying perfectly straight and still in the middle of the road but it had it's sides drawn in, showing this wavy pattern over it's entire length.

I don't think that it was sunning itself, It was fairly warm out.

Was it some attempt at camouflage, or was it just relaxing?

Mike

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 630
Your right about Eastern Rat, Mike. First thing that comes to mind is thermo regulation. Have read females especially have favored shady areas because of critical cargo of eggs. Not sure how that applies to males. Can think of no other normal reasons for convolutions of surface area on that animal, other than to cool down.

Edit: after thought was in advance of shedding, possibly loosening skin, is possible to crop eye larger?

Last edited:
Here are a couple close-ups of the head. I didn't see any evidence of shedding, but it could have been very early in the process.

I saw the same thing early this spring as well, again on a snake that I walked up on and surprised. That's what made me think it was an attempt at camouflage or maybe a reaction to the stress of being discovered.

Attachments

• Snake Head.jpg
    Snake Head.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Snake Head 2.jpg
    Snake Head 2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 127
Hi Mike,
Eyes look clear. Doesnt show any cloudiness usually seen before shed. Might very well be stress. Walked up on them numerous times, had them pop up just a foot or so away while sitting and reaction was always flight. Twice, had one dangling from a broom hanger on porch of cabin outstate, grabbed the darn things. Both of us sort of slithered away. Looking at your 1st pic, appears that there hasnt been a meal lately. Perhaps coupled with stress, cost of flight is just too high. Love to hear from someone that works with them. Never seen one stationary, in that posture.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back