• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do Blue Jays mimic hawks? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
The Blue Jays in my area can do a wonderfully accurate Red-shouldered Hawk call. They're good enough at it that I can't always tell which bird is making the sound, and when I can tell, it's usually because it's a hawk that has added some additional notes the jays usually don't bother with. Or because I've seen the culprit and the other species of bird is clearly nowhere in evidence. More often than not, it's a jay.

My question is, why? I've seen them sitting in trees or on fences, making hawk sounds, with no hawk in sight. So I don't think it's meant to point out the hawk to other birds. I'd think it was to scare other birds away, except that they'll do it when not near food, water, or anything else that they might want to defend. Could it be that they just like the sound, or are scaring other birds for the fun of it? I try not to anthropomorphize, but given that crows are known to follow larger animals and pull their tails for no evident reason other than to bother them, maybe jays also like to annoy other animals.

Eurasian Jays can imitate Common Buzzard really well. Interestingly, in places where there were no buzzards they would imitate Tawny Owl.
It is not so clear why they do this.
They might scare away other birds, or attract songbirds away from their nests, or just impress their potential partners.

The Blue Jays in my area can do a wonderfully accurate Red-shouldered Hawk call. They're good enough at it that I can't always tell which bird is making the sound, and when I can tell, it's usually because it's a hawk that has added some additional notes the jays usually don't bother with. Or because I've seen the culprit and the other species of bird is clearly nowhere in evidence. More often than not, it's a jay.

My question is, why? I've seen them sitting in trees or on fences, making hawk sounds, with no hawk in sight. So I don't think it's meant to point out the hawk to other birds. I'd think it was to scare other birds away, except that they'll do it when not near food, water, or anything else that they might want to defend. Could it be that they just like the sound, or are scaring other birds for the fun of it? I try not to anthropomorphize, but given that crows are known to follow larger animals and pull their tails for no evident reason other than to bother them, maybe jays also like to annoy other animals.
I have heard it is their attempt to scare away the competition for food. Like you I have also heard Blue Jays mimic Red-shoulders but also Cooper's Hawks and Red-tailed Hawks. Blue Jays eat much the same food as other small birds and if they can keep the competition away by sounding like a predator it is more food for them.

I heard a jay mimic tawny owl today whilst slinking through some dense woodland. I reckon it was trying to get small birds nesting near by to mob it so it could work out where the nests are that could be predated. James B. North Devon

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back