• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white x pied wagtail hybrid? 21.04.2014 konstanz, southern germany (1 Viewer)

lou salomon

the birdonist
hi,

among a scattered flock of about 12 white wagtails resting and feeding on the banks of bodensee/rhine river i saw this striking indvidual. first impression was - wow, a pied wagtail (which is a vagrant here). however, already when viewing it through bins it was clear that it was no clearcut male yarellii :C
then i saw the dodgy pics i took which are good enough though to see some crucial details: mantle appeared mostly blackish grey (but more so on its right side! see pics 1 and 2), white tips to middle greater coverts were extensive, matching pied. flanks were considerably extensive dark but many male alba can show a similar extent. and then the rump: not blackish but medium dark grey. best assessed probably in the last pic. note the interesting different shades of grey on upperside: black nape hardly contrasting with blackish-grey upper mantle, then a pale "silverback" area and a blackish "band" on lower back, again followed by the palest area of the upperparts on upper rump, then a medium to dark grey rump and blackish utcs.

it somewhat resembles the bird in pic 335 (but with darker flanks) in this paper: http://www.digimages.info/bergri/Wagtails_MotacillaAlba&Yarrellii_DB32-4_2010.pdf

hybrid?
peter a., what's your thoughts on this?

Attachments

• IMG_4670 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_4670 - Kopie.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4708 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_4708 - Kopie.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4669 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_4669 - Kopie.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4706 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_4706 - Kopie.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4731 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_4731 - Kopie.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Certainly looks like a hybrid between the two!

Have to admit, if it was over here, I'd barely take a second glance and just assume it was a Pied.

bump. any non-brit with a view as how reliable such ind. can be assessed in e central european context as either hybrids or rather calling them "white wag with features of pied" and a big question mark...?

I've learnt to call these kind of individuals hybrids. Can't remember that I've ever seen a term like "white wag with features of pied" used :)
Hybrid is relatively straight forward to ID if the bird is adult male. Otherwise it's a minefield.

Hi Lou,
I agree that this is most likely a hybrid.
It strongly resembles a male yarrellii, which can show scattered grey patches on mantle and/or scapulars, but a completely grey rump is something I have never seen in that subspecies.

As it looks like an adult bird it can hardly show a resemlance to a male yarrellii, but a female though. Otherwise a hybrid would be a good choice.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back