• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-winged Doves have migrated south for the season (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
I haven't seen a White-winged Dove in the last week, but I didn't notice the exact day when they finally migrated away south. A sign that autumn is coming. Does anyone in AZ still see them?

I've noticed basically the same here in the Phoenix area.

I realized around the third week of August that I did not have near as many White Wing doves as I was seeing. I still had a couple of guys hanging around Labor Day weekend, then I noticed last weekend they were none. So, I think the last of mine left around the 5th of September.

I did a quick drive by of the Glendale Recharge Ponds last weekend and did not see any milling around there. Last Monday afternoon (Sept 9) following the morning rain I did a walk around one of a Papago Park pond on the east side and did not see any White Wings. I was not there earlier in the summer to observe any but it is an area that should have some before the migration.

Based on past observations, I normally consider Sept 7 the average departure time for our White Wing friends and I look for their return around the middle of April. In my case, it seems they left just a little bit earlier this year. Now I am waiting for the ducks to return!

Although I will miss the White-winged Doves, I love autumn's arrival here in southern Arizona for it means that beautiful weather is on its way -- all the way thru till May. And I've lived here long enough so I don't mind the summers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back