• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which fuji (1 Viewer)

Nwheal

Hi all

I have at the moment a fuji XS-1 however it is not getting used as I have had knee surgery on one knee now have to have it on the other.

So not getting out and about...

Now I am thinking of selling the XS-1 and getting a pocketable super zoom or the fuji stable.

Can anyone let me know which is a good model that still has the EXR engine and produces the great fuji colours. Would still like to have a good zoom on it as well.

Just the bonus of getting it in a pocket being the main thing.

Regards

Nigel

If you are looking at pocket super zooms from Fuji you are a bit limited.

The range specifically called long zoomed compacts is a bit basic - missing EXR and many other features.

The advanced compact range is probably closer to what you are talking about, but not quite as pocketable - you can get a feel for the size from the web site that has downloadable brochures and instructions for everything. The current range appears to be variations on a theme so really it depends on your desire for a GPS feature or not, or zoom length. They don't have EVFs which rule them out for me as I am long sighted and don't usually carry reading glasses.

Remember that while you get EXR it is using a 1/2" chip with 16mp to make it pocketable, so don't expect quite the same quality of the XS-1 (it is possibly the same as they use in the HS30). Depending on what you doing with it, this may well be fine.

I am unaware of anyone using this range and out of curiosity did a search on the birdforum for its predecessor - the F600 and drew a blank.

The next range up are the HS series which while smaller than the XS-1 are definitely not pocketable and probably wouldn't be much of an improvement from that point of view.

The XS-1 is actually larger than several of my dslrs (Olympus various E Series) but is practical once you consider the smaller lens proportions.

Really it is a bit of a limited choice within your original spec - this is the web page for the middle of the road Advanced Compact which gives you links to the manual and brochure. http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/advanced-compact/model/finepix-f750exr/

Last edited:
The F770EXR is the current incarnation which has a 20x zoom. I am quite sure that the sensor is the same as in the HS30,. I have got one of the earlier 600 series versions with 15x zoom + 2x digital zoom and have managed to get a few bird shots from a modest distance, one was a Goldfinch on the tv arial of a neighbouring bungalow. Very hit and miss though compared with cameras with evfs.

Possibly if you are only going after bird table shots you might manage.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/83718/show.html

Last edited:
I've just picked up an H30EXR for £165 - bought by the PO in Sept and hardly used - with case an CF card
You make real saving buying nearly new and still under warranty.

I'll find in a lot more handy for carrying around generally than my Nikon + 300mm f4 + TC set up ....... great addition for me

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back