• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which field guide? Visiting Mumbai and the South (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

Hello. I am going to be in India for some weeks. Perhaps 8! If anyone wants to share birding ventures, I will be interested. I am easy to get along with and relatively experienced with world birding.

Also wondering which guide is the beat these days? If theres a good ebook I can buy for the entire country but would want a southern Indian guide if I need to buy a physical copy. Whatever is best and least heavy!!

Many thanks

James

I am going for the southern India guide. Do yoi know where I might buy a copy in Mumbai. Khar West or other places..

The more extensive Birds of the Indian Subcontinent ( https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/birds-of-the-indian-subcontinent-9781408162644/ ) is more recent than the Southern India book and is written by the same authors. The field guide is not so large to be unwieldy and it is also available in ebook format; I do not have this format so cannot speak for it although it does claim to contain the sounds as well.

Hard copies should be available from any reputable bookshop in Mumbai, and much cheaper than in the UK. The ebook is available for download, of course.

I have use this book, in all of its editions, on numerous trips to India and have found it to be very good.

HTH

The more extensive Birds of the Indian Subcontinent ( https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/birds-of-the-indian-subcontinent-9781408162644/ ) is more recent than the Southern India book and is written by the same authors. The field guide is not so large to be unwieldy and it is also available in ebook format; I do not have this format so cannot speak for it although it does claim to contain the sounds as well.

Hard copies should be available from any reputable bookshop in Mumbai, and much cheaper than in the UK. The ebook is available for download, of course.

I have use this book, in all of its editions, on numerous trips to India and have found it to be very good.

HTH

I just purchased the "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent" ebook. Thanks for bringing it to attention. The sound files, which look to be included for the vast majority of species, make it a very good deal. Had to get it from the google play store though, as Bloomsbury website didn't seem to have a link to buy it! it is only £13 on google.
I get a bit of a lag when flipping thru pages but nothing serious. you can jump from the contents page to the species pretty quickly. It looks quite good on my tablet.
I miss plates with arrows or text pointing to the key id features, like the Collins birds of Europe guide for example, but with an ebook, you can scribble notes all over it digitally!

(I also have the Collins Birds of India fieldguide, again on e format, but this wasn't quite as good. The maps are all at the back for one, and the plates aren't quite as good from a quick comparison. )

I would go with the Helm guide as Alf suggests as it's the latest version. Its not unwieldy and will come in handy where ever you go. I just bought another one (lost the last book when I was in India:)). No experience with the ebook (personally I will not be carrying my ipad around when I am birding - as that's when I misplaced my previous book:))

Ive been to several book shops in Khar and om bookshop as well. None have Birds of Southern India. Anyone have real up to date knowledge of availability?

Ive been to several book shops in Khar and om bookshop as well. None have Birds of Southern India. Anyone have real up to date knowledge of availability?

Have you tried contacting any of the local bird groups in India? They are pretty active on various forums (Twitter should produce results) and should have better real-time local knowledge than on here.

When further north I found the Delhibirders group to be very helpful - maybe there is a Mumbaibirders group as well. There is a Birds of Goa group on Facebook that might also be useful. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/bir..._id=1515090833621359&notif_t=group_highlights )

The bird groups are largely non responsive.

The most common activity is posting photos on which no one comments and seemingly they are posted without any particular reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back