• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which corvid? Sydney, Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Seen in Sydney on 1st February this year. I assumed Australian Raven but he seems a bit short overall. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
crow1.jpgcrow2.jpg

Thanks Larry. I wonder if it is a young one then. Here is an Australian Raven in Sydney too, alongside the other one.....seems longer overall and maybe longer hackles.

crow3.jpgcrow2.jpgcrow1.jpg

seems longer overall and maybe longer hackles
Looking at the feather detail, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the same bird as in your pics 1-2. But, regardless of that, I think you're onto a loser trying to compare body length/slimness/whatever or hackle-length in these photos (eg look at the apparent difference in hackle-length between pic 1 and pic 2 showing what we are taking to be the same bird); this is just down to changing posture. Australian-corvid ID is a dark art - and often the best one can do is just to identify them as whatever the locals identify them as.

Not many locals around at the time unfortunately but glad it's not just me that finds it hard to id these 'crows' as everyone in the family over there calls them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back