• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Kent next Sunday 5 April (2 Viewers)

JCS

I intend taking a friend out for an introduction to birdwatching - I am a relapsed birdwatcher myself. I have arranged the trip for next weekend as I thought this would be good for migrants passing through.

The question is where to go in Kent? I guess the priority is somewhere with an abundance of birds to ensure their interest is maintained.

I thought of Elmley, Dungerness or Stodmarsh.

Does anybody had any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

One of the best places to go in Kent where there is usually plenty to see and often at close range is Oare Marshes near Faversham. It's a great place to go to see a wide variety of birds and is easy to walk round. Dungeness RSPB reserve is a great place to go at this time of year as well although the birds tend to be further away so unless you have a scope you may not get the best out of it. It does have a great visitor centre though and loads of hides to observe from. Check out www.kentos.org.uk and click on sightings to see what's about at these as well as the other places you mentioned.
Enjoy your day out

If it's a gentle introduction you want with birds at close hand (waders especially) Oare Marshes can be good - not too much walking unless you want to as well.

Your first stop should be a virtual one rather than a real one - check out http://www.kentos.org.uk/recentsigntings/recentsightings.htm. But, of course, as a Kent based birder you're already a member of the KOS ;) so you'll know all about the KOS's excellent webpage.

Elmley's good, but I'd agree that a stop at Oare would produce much the same species with far less hassle and be less of a detour to your next stop - the Stour valley (Stodmarsh/Grove). You could also pop into Blean Woods for some woodland stuff (inc Lesser Spotted Woodpecker) if you're after variety. An very early start at Dungeness could be good and you would still have enough time for an afternoon stop in the Stour valley and a last horrah at Oare (but check tide times - high tide being best),

Can't really add much to the above: I agree that Oare is better than Elmley (from your point of view) and it avoids making the trip to the Badlands that are Sheppey...

Thanks very much for your replies. Possibly an early start at Dungerness with furtehr stops at Stodmarsh and/or Oare Marshes.

I went to Oare Marshes last Sunday and it was absolutely dead as a doornail. Nothing to see at all really. I even bumped into Murray and he said it was very quiet indeed.
A digiscope may have helped to see over to Sheppey !!

Thanks to all for your answers.

I split the day between Dungerness and Elmley. Mainly regular birds, which was a Godsend for me as my identification is a bit rusty on anything out of the ordinary. Anyway the day was a success and a new member has now been enrolled in the RSPB!

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back