• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Ecuador for a week before Galapagos (1 Viewer)

I was very keen on Termas de Papallacta Lodge, which I visited in 2007. It's just over the pass (eastern slope) from Quito, and now that the airport has (finally) moved, it is even more convenient. Tons of birds there, and what's more, it is not at a terribly high altitude, so shouldn't give you any trouble in that department. At the same time it is a short drive to a portion of the Cayambe Coca reserve that is above treeline; based at Papallacta, you can take a short trip up there to for the really special mountain birds, like Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe (practically guaranteed near the radio towers at the pass).

No chance when we were there last week due to thick mist. Apparently , it's usual up there and our guide said he only saw them occasionally when not misty.

[/b]
No chance when we were there last week due to thick mist. Apparently , it's usual up there and our guide said he only saw them occasionally when not misty.

Agreed. Was there in 2013 and saw them. But our guide had missed them on a previous trip and my understanding is they are regular but certainly not guaranteed.

[/B]

I saw them in really thick mist in July 2014 when one walked past me about a yard in front and sat on the path. Just a case of lack as tour groups reported around a 50% success rate so I was pretty lucky.

While I certainly agree with the advice given above, it is worth remembering that there is some good birding that can be done out of Guayaquil. Manglares Churute is 45 to the southeast and has been excellent birds, and to the west is the Santa Elena Peninsula, which is home to the Salinas salt ponds (less than 2 hours away), or you can go a little further north to the Ayampe River and look for the Esmeraldas Woodstar.

A very easy day excursion from Guayaquil is a day trip to Cerro Blanco, which is only about 30 minutes away.

I was there last in January 2013, with my elderly parents, and I was worried about that as well. We didn't stay a whole lot of time in the city itself, but when we did I certainly felt as safe as I do in Quito (having witnessed a robbery there), although maybe I was being naïve. There is a quite visible security presence along the Malecon, as well as throughout most of the tourist areas of the city. The one time we needed a taxi, we had our hotel get it for us, as I think getting them off the streets can still be a little iffy. Overall, I would certainly go there again!

Having lived in Ecuador for one year (2009-2010) I'd say Guayaquil seems to be less safe than Quito (at least from what I got from the news). In Ecuador you should always be careful, but it's not like super risky (at least not in the regions, where you go as a tourist). And taking a taxi from the street is just fine, as long as you just follow some simple basics (I took probably several hundred taxis, without having a single bad experience).
Just follow these basic rules and you should be fine:
- Don't wander around at night
- Don't go to the poor regions on your own
- Only take official taxis/buses/etc.
- Don't show off any valuables
- Keep an eye open

Whilst birding I don't think it's dangerous. Most thieves don't go birding themselves ;)

Maffong

Yellow House has had several sighting of a Coati lately. I saw one there back in July. The bear is generally back near trail 5. They have also had a lot of activities from Capuchin monkeys. Squirrel monkeys are fairly common at Rio Silanche.

Thanks Foxy. Would you be happy to share that itinerary as flying into Quito, spending a week driving to Guayquil, flying onto the Galapagos (looks like all Quito flights stop there anyway) and then flying home might be an option. We usually fix on an itinerary and then get someone like Audley to put it together as a bespoke tour and arrange hotels, flights, transport between sites and guides at each location.

Hi Tony,
Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm all over the place at the moment. I'll dig out the itinerary and send it. It wasn't perfect and I'll try and highlight the lessons we learned along the way

Yellow House has had several sighting of a Coati lately. I saw one there back in July. The bear is generally back near trail 5. They have also had a lot of activities from Capuchin monkeys. Squirrel monkeys are fairly common at Rio Silanche.
I had a group of 3 coatis there too. Seems to be a good spot

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back