• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to birdwatch in Cheshire/N Wales coast? (1 Viewer)

michaelmorris

My wife and I are taking a short 3 day break in mid-February to explore Chester and the surrounding countryside. While we are up there we would like to do a bit of birdwatching. From my limited research so far the Dee Estuary sounds promising. Which are the best spots of birdwatching on the estuary? Are there any other good areas around Chester?

Thanks

the rspb have reserves at inner marsh farm and burton mere wetlands, actually the same place with 2 different entrances to different hides over looking the same bit of water.

parkgate has the old baths carpark (go past the pub down the little lane and park up in the carpark) better on high tide than low but plenty of birds always.

parkgate also has a small pool at the othe end or the prom accross from the ice cream parlour with benches on it, which has a pool infront of it which draws lots of waders and gulls. the great white egrets are frequently visible from the parkgate prom too but it's a case of scanning the marsh with a scope till one of the masses of little egrets turns out not to be.

on the end of the wirral, is also very good with a bird observatory on hilbre island. best to go with someone who knows where they're going here as it's not a simple direct route and gets cut off completely by the tide.

hoylake foreshorecan be good if the tide is in the best source of info on this is jane turner on here, see hoylake bird observatory thread

Not 'bird' related but try and make the time to do a guided bus tour of the city.......it's very interesting and enjoyable. Get togged up if you go upstairs as they're open topped.

I don't know if the tourist people in Chester still have copies, but there used to be a leaflet covering birding sites in and around Chester by Val Macfarland.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back