• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where in the Kent area can I see woodcocks? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey birders, I've always wanted to see a woodcock, and living near a large plot of woodland known as Elmstead woods, is one of the places I'd expect to find a woodcock, since there is a mixture of trees. But where in Kent can you see woodcocks? They are very well camouflaged so I could've easily missed some before, but I figured I would've seen or spooked one already. Does anyone know of any spots where they see woodcocks in Kent? Any advice appreciated as always.

Ev

during the day woodcock will get up only at the last moment you would virtually have to stand on them before they will move,evening just before dark is the best time to see them as they go to feed,

If you'd asked a month ago I'd have said Dungeness in the trapping area under the bushes, maybe a bit late now though.

I've had them roding in spring in Beckley Woods when looking for Wild Boar, but haven't been there recently.

John

I guess it would be hard to see them under all the foliage, but if they move around to feed I might get lucky. I do think that they won't be in the local woods (more local than Elmstead) because there is no water, but in Elmstead the little trenches that run around the woodland tend to be filled with water so might be a very nice habitat for them.

The woodcock population increases massively in winter, and they can appear in even very small patches of woodland. They are sensitive to disturbance though, so you are much more likely to see one if you are in an area with no or limited public access, especially by people walking dogs. Going off-piste in lightly trafficked woodland might be your best chance of putting one up, as others have said, often at close range. As an east coast county, Kent should get its fair share of migrant woodcock, although they do spread across the country.
When we had very severe winters with snow cover in lowland areas around 2010 I used to sometimes see woodcock at night at the sides of rural roads in Northumberland - I can only presume attracted to water formed at the edges by the action of de-icing salt - I've not seen that behaviour since.

The woodcock population increases massively in winter, and they can appear in even very small patches of woodland. They are sensitive to disturbance though, so you are much more likely to see one if you are in an area with no or limited public access, especially by people walking dogs. Going off-piste in lightly trafficked woodland might be your best chance of putting one up, as others have said, often at close range. As an east coast county, Kent should get its fair share of migrant woodcock, although they do spread across the country.
When we had very severe winters with snow cover in lowland areas around 2010 I used to sometimes see woodcock at night at the sides of rural roads in Northumberland - I can only presume attracted to water formed at the edges by the action of de-icing salt - I've not seen that behaviour since.
Sadly most areas of woodland around me have a ton of dog walkers around which is quite annoying. The other day I was watching some blue tits and was about to get a very nice picture and this dog comes flying out of nowhere and the bird flies away. I think there are a few other small patches near me I could try but I’ll see what I can come up with.

Seeing them on the ground is always very tricky so finding a bird quartering above woodland in its display flight (roding) in spring is your best chance. Unfortunately, they have declined in Kent (in part due to increased disturbance from dogs etc. However, I've had them roding in the Canterbury area this year at Church Woods & Denge Wood (north of Waltham) and in winter at Trenley Woods (en route to Stodmarsh). I'm sure that they will be present in the woods elsewhere around the city. In autumn/winter you will need a good deal of luck to randomly come across them in daylight so your best chance is at dusk or later. You can see them at Grove Ferry, but the other end of the reserve at Stodmarsh is much better particularly the damp alder woodland with a boardwalk through the middle. However, you'll have to wait until dusk or later to catch sight of one and will probably only get silhouetted views as it flies up. Watch harriers come into roost on the Lampen Wall until it's pretty much dark and you have a chance of seeing one on the muddy path as you walk back to the car park (as long as nobody else has flushed them first).

Seeing them on the ground is always very tricky so finding a bird quartering above woodland in its display flight (roding) in spring is your best chance. Unfortunately, they have declined in Kent (in part due to increased disturbance from dogs etc. However, I've had them roding in the Canterbury area this year at Church Woods & Denge Wood (north of Waltham) and in winter at Trenley Woods (en route to Stodmarsh). I'm sure that they will be present in the woods elsewhere around the city. In autumn/winter you will need a good deal of luck to randomly come across them in daylight so your best chance is at dusk or later. You can see them at Grove Ferry, but the other end of the reserve at Stodmarsh is much better particularly the damp alder woodland with a boardwalk through the middle. However, you'll have to wait until dusk or later to catch sight of one and will probably only get silhouetted views as it flies up. Watch harriers come into roost on the Lampen Wall until it's pretty much dark and you have a chance of seeing one on the muddy path as you walk back to the car park (as long as nobody else has flushed them first).
That’s very helpful information John, next time I’m at my grandpas I’ll have a look around since they’re in herne bay and stodmarsh isn’t that far if I recall correctly.

I lived in Kent for eighteen years and very often saw them in King's Wood just north of the A28 near Wye. Typically I'd see them roding at dusk, but I have put them up a couple of times there as well.

King's Wood, when I was there at least, was pretty undisturbed in many areas and huge, so I imagine they'd liked it there for those reasons alone.

I lived in Kent for eighteen years and very often saw them in King's Wood just north of the A28 near Wye. Typically I'd see them roding at dusk, but I have put them up a couple of times there as well.

King's Wood, when I was there at least, was pretty undisturbed in many areas and huge, so I imagine they'd liked it there for those reasons alone.
It remains a huge area but I think that the level of disturbance especially by poorly supervised dogs is a lot higher than it was 18 years ago.

Just to prove my point about getting out into what appears sub-optimal but undisturbed habitat, I was walking across some tall grassland with a few patches of trees on a vacant industrial site yesterday (a work matter, not birding) and put up a woodcock. This was on Teesside but I'd imagine you'd get similar results on the same habitat in Kent - and this was a site with de facto public access, just being a partly-occupied industrial estate it didn't attract that many people.

Just to prove my point about getting out into what appears sub-optimal but undisturbed habitat, I was walking across some tall grassland with a few patches of trees on a vacant industrial site yesterday (a work matter, not birding) and put up a woodcock. This was on Teesside but I'd imagine you'd get similar results on the same habitat in Kent - and this was a site with de facto public access, just being a partly-occupied industrial estate it didn't attract that many people.
That's certainly the case in east Kent where there are several former coal tips now colonised by birch scrub with de facto (if not entirely legal) access to the west of Deal around Tilmanstone.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back