• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When things go wrong (or 'What I did last weekend') (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
A few of us headed up to the Bridges of Ross on Friday night, and planned on staying until some time on Sunday. Due to arriving late on Friday, we didn't do much, but were there early on Sat.
Having been out all morning (missing a Wilson's, but I've seen those before), and then having taken a break mid-day, we went back to the seawatching point. Late on, a few of our number left for the pub, but myself and another guy stayed. Other Irish birders present started to leave, and soon it was down to 2 of us from here and a few Belgians. We had planned to head to the pub ourselves at 8pm, but decided to leave a little bit earlier. Having just arrived back at the car park, a shout went up...they had just had a Fea's Petrel!
Now, for those who are new here, Fea's Petrel is by far my most wanted bird in the WORLD at the moment, and I've had no luck with them despite doing a lot of seawatching over the years.
The next day, we were up a bit later, but had missed nothing, and managed to see a few decent birds despite things being relatively quiet. We all headed off (except one guy), and that was that....
...until we heard that another Fea's had passed about an hour or so later!!!
The guy who stayed behind had even missed it, due to having gone to nearby Kilbaha, but, unknown to me, another of our party hadn't gone completely when he left with us, and had decided to head back due to the winds picking up. He was seawatching from the car park only to be told by the girlfriend of one of these Belgians that a Fea's was SITTING ON THE WATER in a raft of Manx!!! The bird WAS distant, but apparently most features could be seen when it flew. To make things worse, I hadn't wanted to leave, and would have stayed with this guy had I known he'd stay (he lives in Cork city also, and I could have come back with him).
Still in shock after it all, to be honest: at least I live to try another day, but the idea of a seawatch almost overwhelms me now. I DID do a short seawatch locally yesterday evening, and managed a close Balearic Shearwater despite poor winds for the S coast.
Harry

I love seawatching and dream of seeing a Fea's.

It made me feel bad just reading your account of the weekend - I can only imagine how you're feeling. :( I really hope you get to see one soon.

Hi Edward,
I'll probably faint if I ever do see one, just hope I'd have gotten enough detail on it first!
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Edward,
I'll probably faint if I ever do see one, just hope I'd have gotten enough detail on it first!
Harry

Just as long as you're not too close to the cliff face when you do faint. A friend of mine had a Black-browed Albatross fly past at eye level on a cliff in SW Iceland many years ago and said if he'd been a foot closer to edge when he saw it he'd have gone over, such was the shock.

Just a question, about ID-ing Fea's, how do people rule out Zino's? Just by the fact that Zino's are so critically endangered that it has to be Fea's by default?

E

Hi Edward,
No, we can't rule out Zino's, I agree there (that's a bugbear of mine, and I try to get back at someone I know who has seen FOUR by mentioning 'Fea's-type' Petrels). I was just using shorthand of sorts, rather than use the misapplied 'Soft-plumaged Petrel' (which refers to Pterodroma mollis of the southern hemisphere) or the unwieldy 'Fea's/Zino's' Petrel or (even worse) 'Fea's/Zino's Soft-plumaged Petrel'.
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Edward,
No, we can't rule out Zino's, I agree there (that's a bugbear of mine, and I try to get back at someone I know who has seen FOUR by mentioning 'Fea's-type' Petrels). I was just using shorthand of sorts, rather than use the misapplied 'Soft-plumaged Petrel' (which refers to Pterodroma mollis of the southern hemisphere) or the unwieldy 'Fea's/Zino's' Petrel or (even worse) 'Fea's/Zino's Soft-plumaged Petrel'.
Harry

Well, I think there are about 100 Fea's on the planet for each Zino's. How many Feas have there been in britain or ireland now - must be getting on for 100? Not sure. Anyway, do the math, one of them was a Zinos, so no one can tick any of them. Unless you saw the Scilly/Scillonian birds with the big bills?

Hi Martin,
Docmartin said:
Well, I think there are about 100 Fea's on the planet for each Zino's. How many Feas have there been in britain or ireland now - must be getting on for 100? Not sure. Anyway, do the math, one of them was a Zinos, so no one can tick any of them. Unless you saw the Scilly/Scillonian birds with the big bills?
Fingers crossed for our pelagic on Friday then: would be great to be the first ones to get pics/footage of an unequivocal Fea's over here, could then tell everyone else that they had only seen indeterminate birds!
Am I to take it from your statement above that the Scilly birds have been formally accepted by BOURC and BBRC as definite Fea's...?
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Martin,

Fingers crossed for our pelagic on Friday then: would be great to be the first ones to get pics/footage of an unequivocal Fea's over here, could then tell everyone else that they had only seen indeterminate birds!
Am I to take it from your statement above that the Scilly birds have been formally accepted by BOURC and BBRC as definite Fea's...?

Take it any way you want, but I'm not sure that's the case. o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back