• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats the Autumn migration brought to you ? (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Anyone had anything good, rare, unusual or interesting in the last few weeks ?

I had 2 Wood Sandpiper and a Red-necked Grebe locally.

Nothing rare or unusual but the red breasted nuthatches have returned along with the chickadees. I dearly missed both of them all summer! Next month should bring the pine grosbeaks.

So far, it's mostly been about what's gone -- sadly. Bobolinks, Eastern Meadowlarks, Red-winged Blackbirds (gone for a good while, actually), etc.

I know the shorebirds are coming in and the fall warblers, but I haven't been out to find any, darn it!

Red Necked Stint, Grey Tailed Tattler and Common Sandpiper on the beach. Lots of Grey Wagtails ( mostly youngsters from up in the hills ) on the river and loads of Stonechat on the cape too. But best of all was a male Goshawk yesterday flying overhead near my appartment. It was freaking out all the House Martins ( I'm sure it couldn't catch them though ).........................

I'm hoping for some raptors from my local cape in the next couple of weeks........a Siberian Rubythroat would be pretty nice too ( though I've never seen one-here's hoping ).

Hi all,

I watch a site for visible migration from August through until November. So far the visible stuff over head hasn't really taken off (pardon the pun), few Hirundines and Pipits but not much else.
A foggy morning 2 weeks ago brought me 14 Shelduck, which were only my 3rd local patch sighting and doubled the previous maximum! This year has been good for Tree Pipits passing over with two individuals lingering about on different days. Redstarts have also lingered with 2 males, 2 immatures being present a few weeks ago followed by a 1st yr male last weekend.
Today I saw a Spotted Flycatcher and 6 Blackcap, with the usual Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. There has been a noticeable increase in Blackbird, Song Thrush and Eurasion Robin numbers this weekend.
Can't wait for the overhead vis-mig to start!

Mark

Last week A Little Egret and today an Osprey.
As for uncommon passage.

Also noticeable difference in raptor migration here,last week still many Juv. and local common Buzzards.
Today obvious migration of more species of raptors.

Booted warbler, wryneck, red-backed shrike, wood sand, curlew sands and little stints have been the highlights of the week for me in Norfolk.
I'm off on holiday next week so no doubt something mega will turn up...

Western Sandpiper out of it's territory in Eastern Ontario. Larger numbers of Snadpipers of various sorts just starting to arrive at Presquile (Lake Ontario).

Good to see there's plenty about.

postcard ... where in Norfolk did you get that impressive lot ? Saw a few Curlew Sand & 2 Wood Sand through Breydon and I heard Little Stint but I didn't see any of those (that don't mean too much though )

But you've had some good ones there

Red-footed Falcon 2 weeks ago, 8 Curlew Sandpipers and a little Stint today. Unfortunately dipped out on the Grey Palarope, that dropped into Cambs earlier this week.

Paul

A flock of 60 sandhill cranes headed South this evening, calling all the while. Our local family will probably be going soon. Sigh.

migration

hi carlos ,we have just had the first teal and wigeon at RSPB Sandwell Valley. I will be looking out for more winter migrants next time I am there. Sue

Booted warbler was at West Runton (31/08/03), wryneck at Wiveton Downs (03/09/03), red-backed shrike at Burnham Dunes (05/09/03), wood sand, curlew sands and little stints all at Titchwell.
Was at Titchwell today curlew sand and wood sand still present, also had 7 black tern over the sea - a real treat as I have been struggling to catch up with them this year.

A flock of Canada Geese flew over yesterday. And I spotted a male white throated sparrow in a tree this morning. The females have been here for a few days now. No hummers in 4 days now. :( Lots of grackles but no more blackbirds. Purple finches and pine siskins are gone.

Hi Tammie - do any birds actually stay all through the winter in northern Ontario, or do they all fly south ?

7 Black Tern, postcard, that sounds pretty good. I was lucky enough to see one a few weeks ago.

I Carlos,
You'd be amazed at the species of birds I have here for the brutal winters we get. I normally have:'

nuthatches (year round)
chickadees (year round)
evening grosbeaks (year round)
pine grosbeaks (winter only)
common redpolls (winter only)
gray jays (my personal favorite!) (year round)
hairy woodpeckers (year round)
downy woodpeckers (year round)
A pretty good assortment considering the conditions up here in January!

Last night, standing outside the hotel I work at, I had 50+ Pond Herons come over real low. In all likelyhood Chinese Pond Herons, but the different Pond Heron species are difficult enough to seperate during the day, no way I am going to try that at night. Also, the first White Wagtails have started showing up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back