• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Feeder to Buy? (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Hi,
As temperatures get low and birds desire to feed gets higher, I decided to put up a little feeding station. I don't want much, just a small variety. However I have no info on feeders, so I need your help.
We have a small garden which is rather poorly vegatated; just grass with 2 pines and some bushes.
Birds we get here include Black Redstart, Northern Wheatear, Lesser Whitethroat, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Great Tit, House, Tree and Rock Sparrows, Goldfinch and Linnet.
What would be most appopriate?

I think you'll struggle to attract some of those to the feeders! The Tits, Sparrows and Finches will all go for Sunflower Hearts in a seed (tubular) feeder. The Black Redstart has similar feeding habits to a Robin, I've heard they may visit a table for bird food. They certainly aren't adept at clinging on to feeders as far as I'm aware. Place your feeders near the trees/ bushes as this will encourage the birds to use them as they will feel safest there.

I would get a suet feeder and hang it from a long thin wire that squirrels cannot climb. Sunflower and seed feeders get the birds, but suet feeders get the birds you really want to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back