• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird can you hear just now? (1 Viewer)

Well at this moment the 'bird' I can hear is Miranda Hardy from the CD player, outside the window it's a combination of Robin, Wren, Chiffchaff, House Sparrow and Herring Gull.

West Mexican Chachalacas (heard this earlier today, but it took forever for my terrible internet connection to download video)

The Sparrow chatter (mostly House, some Spanish) has become a constant loud backdrop. Over that is a singing Eastern Olivaceous Warbler a few trees away from a Blackcap

Tropical Kingbirds, Eurasian Collared Dove
The Kingbirds are bouncing from our rigging to other boats on our dock. The image is the top of our neighbor's mast.

Attachments

• tk.JPG
    tk.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 4
So, I'm below, playing bridge on the computer and I hear so much chatter and bickering going on that I pop my head out the hatch to see what's happening. The Tropical Kingbird has morphed into a Social Flycatcher! What? Did I really hear/see a Social Flycatcher rather than a Tropical Kingbird this morning? I look at my photos again. No, I saw and heard a Tropical Kingbird. I grab the bins and camera and see that lower down on my neighbor's mast at his radome, is a nest. One of a pair of the Socials is on perched on the mast light just below the radome. Can't believe I didn't notice that when I looked at the Tropical Kingbird at the top of the mast, but the Socials were not present then and the nest isn't that obvious. Well, it is now that I've seen it, but I can understand why I didn't notice it. I considered going onto my neighbor's boat and knocking on the mast to discourage the nest building, but I thought that maybe they were already finished building it. I haven't seen them bringing in material. The owner is in Alaska now and the birds will be gone by the time he comes back (I think). He really keeps his boat in bristol condition, and I know he would appreciate me chasing them off, but I think it's too late to interfere. Why would the Tropical Kingbirds be perched at the top of that mast and looking down? Why are they such busybodies regarding the Social's nest? Would they eat eggs? Calling warning signal? Anyway, sorry for going off topic. I will keep observing the Myiarchus drama. I don't leave until the 18th.

Attachments

• sfly.JPG
    sfly.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Mystery solved. The Tropical Kingbirds have a nest on the radome of a boat three slips down from the Social Flycatcher's nest. They were most likely making sure that the 'neighbors' weren't a threat.

Black Redstart and Blackbird, so loud I could hear them even with the windows closed! I can see a Black Grouse displaying on the mountain across the valley but on opening the window and listening I can’t hear its bubbling calls- 2.75km is too far unless the wind is blowing from that direction :(

From here behind my computer right now, I can hear a Blackbird and Collared Dove singing nearby and a Magpie calling. Also a Robin and a Great Tit singing in the distance (difficult to hear).

Edit: and just after posting this, a couple of Herring Gulls flying over, with loud calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back