• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird can you hear just now? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Thought this would be interesting and fun to write about. This will include your day to day lives whilst doing other things. The bird I can hear at the moment is The Blackbird.

Wren, Blackbird, two Robins arguing, Carrion Crows, Lesser Black-backs probably aware of a raptor I can't see.

Blackcap earlier and Blue and Great Tits shouting as they pass through repeatedly.

John

Nice idea Euan!
A 30 seconds listen once it stopped snowing produced Blackbird,Song and Mistle Thrush,Great Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Wren and Yellowhammer plus something tapping ( Nuthatch or GSWoodie the obvious suspects).

First singer this morning was (predictably) a Robin.
90 minutes on, and spotting this thread, I opened the back door for 10 minutes and there’s a faint Blackcap on the other side of the stream at the bottom of the garden, a nearer Chiffchaff, a noisy Blackbird and a couple of Great Tit
Spring-tastic

Another 30seconds’ listen at exactly 06h00 produced Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Black Redstart and Fieldfare (a couple of pairs nest near the house).

(Hong Kong) Right where I live, I often hear Large Hawk Cuckoo and Plaintive Cuckoo in the spring. On occasion one can also hear an Indian Cuckoo. Sometimes they sing well into the night.

I mention these because they are more interesting. Other urban birds here also vocalise plenty. Asian Koel and Greater Coucal are resident cuckoos, as opposed to the above which are summer visitors. Lots of smaller passerines can catch your ear in my neighbourhood.

Factoids:

Though loud, the three cuckoos with which I started this answer are not easy to see properly in Hong Kong. As far as the difficulty of getting good views, I would almost compare Indian Cuckoo to Common Quail or Cetti's Warbler.

Back at Oxford I used to know someone (not a birder) who wrote on his Facebook wall that he wishes that these loud robins wouldn't drive him to distraction in the morning. I was surprised that this dislike exists, but it seems that it does - perhaps the very same that inspired the song by the Wurzels, "Where be the Blackbird to".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back