• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your nemesis bird? (1 Viewer)

Common Quail are tough to see (one of the birds I regularly invoke the right to year-tick on call) but odd individuals sing from either perches (Martin Down has occasionally had ones singing from ant-hills) or along the edges of crops, enabling twitches for views. In Mallorca one May I remember seeing a couple that were in a field that had been cut for hay while they were in it and they continued to behave as if they were still as invisible as before the cut.

John
I was about two short of 500 on my UK list before I saw one in the UK

For that my biggest nemeses would be Sharp-shinned Hawk, which is uncommon but present during winter and migration, Philadelphia Vireo, a not-that-uncommon migrant, and, probably most of all, Greater White-fronted Goose, which is irregular but always shows up a few times each winter.
Nemeses no more! Finally found the hawk this afternoon, and found the goose two weeks ago.

Based in Liverpool (LFC top of the league btw) and only a part-time local birder (though not of my choosing as I'd love to do it more often and go on trips and the like, but life has this frustrating habit of getting in the way), I've yet to see any of these fairly common(ish) birds:

Green Woodpecker - heard but not seen! Once spent an hour walking around Sefton Park looking up at the trees trying to work out where this guy was and at one point had 2 people follow me also looking upwards thinking to themselves 'What is this guy looking at?'

Ring Ouzel - we get a few in the North West over on the Wirral, but I never seem to have the time to get over there (note to self: need to try harder as there are 2 tunnels and a ferry y'know, you bloody lazy sod!)

Osprey - we can get them quite nearby (Frodsham and the like) and even flying over my patch in Lunt where one story goes about a non-birder showing a local birder a photo he took of a 'gull' dipping into the River Alt (a long and winding, though nondescript river) in which the said photo turned out to be an Osprey fishing!!!! Wha' the? Amazing!

Waxwing - this time of year we can have lots of them passing through (irruptions), and oh yes, they seem quite happy to frequent the local Aldi or Asda car parks, but never ever whilst I'm shopping there!

Siskin - though, most probably cycled past loads of 'em, but never noticed

So I'm lucky to have seen lots of rarities in the local area, but please please please, the next time I'm shopping at Aldi can I return home with a record shot of a blimmin' Waxwing and not just with a 6-pack of loo roll!

Assuming you're in Austin, there are a number of places to reliably get them over the next couple months. The area around the barn at Commons Ford is almost a sure thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back