• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (1 Viewer)

Hi John,

Thanks for doing the report. I have never got around to going to Loch Lomond yet and always wondered how successful it would be and will now make an effort to get there. Problem is I need to drive past Lochwinnoch and always end up just going there. Did you walk in from Gartochan and if so how was it?

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, I ended up getting a lift to the reserve so we parked in the main car park. This is a small car park and they had someone on a gate managing traffic into and out of the car park. It was a really sunny day and it was a Sunday so this probably explains why it was so busy, but I'd recommend getting there early if you wanted to use that car park.

When we walked down from the car park, we ended up joining up with the path that came from Gartocharn. It doesn't look like it's too far a walk, but maybe if you're carrying a scope and tripod it might not be for the best. But if you're travelling light I'm sure it'll be fine. I plan to revisit the reserve in the next few months, so I'll probably try the walk then.

At the moment due to a damaged bridge, you can't walk down through the fields from Gartocharn which would have halved the distance. For the moment you need to follow the road around these fields so it's maybe not as pleasant a walk as it should be, although it's a minor, quiet road.

yeah its not the nicest of paths, not walked it myself other than a short stretch when i stopped to watch a kestrel one day, usually one along that stretch everyday that i seen either on the way to or home from work aswell as the odd buzzard, the bus option is probably the best bet, get the train into helensburgh for a wander and coffee etc then bus out to ardmore for a walk and take it from there either walk along to cardross to finish off the day or get the bus and catch the train, maybe a good idea to take a note of tide times before you head too, I use an app on my phone for tide times so you could get an app too that way you can check when out
We came back into Glasgow via Helensburgh yesterday and I noticed a bus going by the road down to Ardmore Point. Turns out it's the same bus (1B by FirstBus) I use to get to Victoria Park, so that means I can get a bus (there's only one bus an hour from what I can see) from Glasgow city centre right to Ardmore Point. I think I'll try that next time.

If I'm ever pushed for time or if a bus doesn't show up, I can always walk back to Cardross and catch a train home. Good to see the options opening up for getting around.

We came back into Glasgow via Helensburgh yesterday and I noticed a bus going by the road down to Ardmore Point. Turns out it's the same bus (1B by FirstBus) I use to get to Victoria Park, so that means I can get a bus (there's only one bus an hour from what I can see) from Glasgow city centre right to Ardmore Point. I think I'll try that next time.

If I'm ever pushed for time or if a bus doesn't show up, I can always walk back to Cardross and catch a train home. Good to see the options opening up for getting around.
yeah i probably should have mentioned that tbf, its the 1B that comes into Helensburgh and out to Glasgow :) used to get it everyday before the car since trains arent 100% reliable around here lol. usually a bus every half hour as if i remember correct i got the bus at either quarter past or quarter too the hour give or take 10min for them being delayed.

Hi John,

Thanks for doing the report. I have never got around to going to Loch Lomond yet and always wondered how successful it would be and will now make an effort to get there. Problem is I need to drive past Lochwinnoch and always end up just going there. Did you walk in from Gartochan and if so how was it?

Cheers,

Stephen
I've not walked that way for a while as I generally park at the reserve these day but from what I remember its a 10 min walk max to meet up with the path at the reserve if at steady pace down that path from gartocharn, bare in mind it usually took me half an hour atleast getting distracted by all the wildlife down that bit lol. I must admit even though the bridge is closed I had never seen anyone working on it when I was there and it was easy enough to slip round the fence and cross it, few missing boards but still crossable as only about 5m worth of bridge (would recommend just going along the road though as not the best behaviour to copy).

You just park in the church car park if going by car and then walk back out onto the road you drove into the car park from (Not main road) head right when on the road. can either take the left at millennium hall (1) or continue east along church road(2).

(1) Taking the left at Millennium Hall you go down a worn out path with a chance of Hares along it as i jumped out my skin one morning and just as you enter the path there is hedges on the left which I had heard various song birds in and a few of my firsts were in those hedges. continuing down that path youll end up with the woods on your left and get to a gate to get into the field just keep the fence on your left and you will soon be at the bridge with another gate to let you onto the road next to some houses. From here you take a right and head along the road to the T Junction then take the left up to the triangle with an old small red post box and a tree in it where you will follow along to the right.

(2) Continuing along Church rd you keep going until you get to the T-junction and take the left following the road all the way along to the Triangle mentioned above, just mind and not take the road into the caravan park which will be your first right along this road (totally didnt do this myself when lost driving this area the first time) although you could maybe use this as a shortcut when walking not entirely sure.

Whichever way you go once you get to the triangle just follow along to the right until you reach a gate which is the start of the reserve im sure, nice "beach" to view the Loch on the left after the gate. From here you are a 2 min walk to the main path of the reserve which you could walk up to the reserve or continue along the Lochside path to the bench viewpoint. Im sure youll find your way once here anyway.

Hope this is of some help. some info may be a little spotty as I havent been this way in a while so please bare that in mind.

I've not walked that way for a while as I generally park at the reserve these day but from what I remember its a 10 min walk max to meet up with the path at the reserve if at steady pace down that path from gartocharn, bare in mind it usually took me half an hour atleast getting distracted by all the wildlife down that bit lol. I must admit even though the bridge is closed I had never seen anyone working on it when I was there and it was easy enough to slip round the fence and cross it, few missing boards but still crossable as only about 5m worth of bridge (would recommend just going along the road though as not the best behaviour to copy).

You just park in the church car park if going by car and then walk back out onto the road you drove into the car park from (Not main road) head right when on the road. can either take the left at millennium hall (1) or continue east along church road(2).

(1) Taking the left at Millennium Hall you go down a worn out path with a chance of Hares along it as i jumped out my skin one morning and just as you enter the path there is hedges on the left which I had heard various song birds in and a few of my firsts were in those hedges. continuing down that path youll end up with the woods on your left and get to a gate to get into the field just keep the fence on your left and you will soon be at the bridge with another gate to let you onto the road next to some houses. From here you take a right and head along the road to the T Junction then take the left up to the triangle with an old small red post box and a tree in it where you will follow along to the right.

(2) Continuing along Church rd you keep going until you get to the T-junction and take the left following the road all the way along to the Triangle mentioned above, just mind and not take the road into the caravan park which will be your first right along this road (totally didnt do this myself when lost driving this area the first time) although you could maybe use this as a shortcut when walking not entirely sure.

Whichever way you go once you get to the triangle just follow along to the right until you reach a gate which is the start of the reserve im sure, nice "beach" to view the Loch on the left after the gate. From here you are a 2 min walk to the main path of the reserve which you could walk up to the reserve or continue along the Lochside path to the bench viewpoint. Im sure youll find your way once here anyway.

Hope this is of some help. some info may be a little spotty as I havent been this way in a while so please bare that in mind

Hi Stephen, I ended up getting a lift to the reserve so we parked in the main car park. This is a small car park and they had someone on a gate managing traffic into and out of the car park. It was a really sunny day and it was a Sunday so this probably explains why it was so busy, but I'd recommend getting there early if you wanted to use that car park.

When we walked down from the car park, we ended up joining up with the path that came from Gartocharn. It doesn't look like it's too far a walk, but maybe if you're carrying a scope and tripod it might not be for the best. But if you're travelling light I'm sure it'll be fine. I plan to revisit the reserve in the next few months, so I'll probably try the walk then.

At the moment due to a damaged bridge, you can't walk down through the fields from Gartocharn which would have halved the distance. For the moment you need to follow the road around these fields so it's maybe not as pleasant a walk as it should be, although it's a minor, quiet road.
Thanks guys. Think I'll just park in the main car park to save any hassle.

Cheers,

Stephen

I think temperatures are a big limiting factor for me at least this week unless you start at 5am. When its cooler I don't mind walking a few miles to the start (and back).

Two contrasting trips this weekend.

Yesterday I went to Castlemilk Park. Castlemilk, for those who don't know, is a highly deprived area on the southern edge of Glasgow. But it has greenbelt land to the south dividing it from the village of Carmunnock and the new town of East Kilbride. It also has the Cathkin Braes on its southern edge and these are technically the highest point in Glasgow. The braes contain a mix of deciduous woodland, heathland and marshy areas with a Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve of Cathkin Marsh nearby.

Castlemilk was formerly a country estate and Castlemilk Park is a mix of native and cultivated woodland, with a stream running through it. My visit was led by the woodlands officer of a housing association - an unusual job for such an organisation but I think it's used for community outreach. I was brought up in Castlemilk, but I would never have walked through here then as there are lots of dodgy people there. Even on this trip a couple of nutters came walking up the park.

However, the park as a lot going for it. We saw two Roe Deer, we saw Badger setts and tracks (this was my main reason for visiting). There was a good mix of flowers and trees, and birdwise is typical woodland such as Blackcap, Coal Tit. He said there are Dippers but we didn't see any yesterday. He said the stream has had Brown Trout and Eel.

Today was different: I went to Cumbrae and walked around the northern part. Birds seen included Gannet, Cormorant, Eider (with young), Shelduck, Goosander, Rock Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Swift, Redpoll, Linnet, Stonechat, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Kestrel, and just about every fledged Starling in the west coast. There was a very big colony of Common Gull and one was calling - I found it a really funny call for a gull, it sounded more like a wader. Talking of waders, there were lots of Oystercatcher and a couple of Ringed Plover and Common Sandpipers. The Humpback Whale that had been nearby today unfortunately didn't turn up.

In Largs on the way back home I saw Black Guillemot, House Martin, Swallow.

Have you tried this app from the BTO? Put in your postcode and it'll tell you about the species that are doing well and those that are not doing so well in the 10 km square that contains your postcode.

My square runs from Rutherglen to Stepps so will include part of the Clyde and other hotspots like Hogganfield Loch, but otherwise it's a mainly urban and suburban square.

We had 172 species observed in the past 10 years according to BirdTrack data with some species in decline including the Robin, Mallard, Wren. Some of those lost include Teal, Grey Partridge, Tawny Owl. Regarding the latter I heard some calling at night in the past couple of years so I know they're around, I just hadn't logged them on BirdTrack as I hadn't seen them.

Birds we've gained include Goosander (I see these regularly at Cuningar Loop and in other places), Blackcap (including over winter), Raven (often in the trees outside my window) and Jay (I've not seen these here yet).

I revisited Port Glasgow today, was there a few months back to see if I could find Eider (which I did). I wasn't really expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised to find it full of Black Guillemots! So these are much nearer than Cumbrae, Bute or Ardrossan which were my previous nearest. The Eider were in exactly the same bit of water as before.

The dominant birdsong for the morning was Goldfinch and there were some young birds looked they were learning to fly. One Pipit sp. appeared for a few seconds on a rock in front of me then disappeared for the day, I was tempted to call it a Rock Pipit but can't be certain.

I was just down river from you on a boat trip from Inverkip. The trip was billed as a wildlife and scenery trip but I get the feeling they're more into scenery than wildlife. But they've only been going since 2020 I think so I expect they'll become more knowledgeable in time. They admitted they didn't know a lot about birds although they said they've been trained as first responders to deal with stranded cetaceans on the Clyde.

We went north from Inverkip past Cloch Point to Greenock and then headed over the river towards the other bank, skirting around Dunoon and Holy Loch then back to Inverkip again. It was only 2.5 hours but we (or rather me to be honest as I got the impression that I was the only one on the boat interested in birds - it was just me, the two crew and two friends of the crew), saw a lot of Black Guillemot, Gannet, Eider, Black-headed/Common/Great Black-backed/Herring/Lesser Black-backed Gull, a couple of Common Terns and my first Sandwich Tern of the year. Mammal-wise there were Grey Seal, Harbour Porpoise, and just as we came back into the marina a pod of Bottlenose Dolphins appeared. I got good views with the binoculars but we didn't go back for a closer look.

There was no sign of the Humpback Whale that had been in the area last week, apparently it's now up around Mull.

I saw a Grey Wagtail in a river that flows into the marina.

We were talking about Basking Sharks and they said they tend not to see them in this part of the river, but they're more common around Arran. I suggested they run trips to Arran but I think it's a bit far for them (I have a colleague who sees them when she visits her parents there), but I'm sure if they promoted opportunities to go out looking for the sharks they'd get lots of bookings.

I went to Cuningar Loop today, starting from my normal place of Richmond Park. I would normally walk along the Clyde from Shawfield but the path was closed off so I had to take a different route to Cuningar Loop. I took my DSLR with me today and I'm telling you, despite being ancient, the quality of the images are a million times better than the iPhone. I often find the iPhone really struggles to focus - it can look OK on screen but the photo often comes out with the wrong part of the image in focus.

Richmond Park had around 60 Lesser Black-backed Gulls with only two Herring Gulls. A Swift was seen here too. It was really warm today and there were lots of butterflies around including Large White, Small Tortoiseshell and especially Ringlet and Meadow Brown. It was quite challenging to take photos of the latter two as they were constantly on the move. On the way down to Richmond Park I also spotted several Cinnabar moths.

The new riverside path is open at Cuningar Loop and it feels like it's in a more remote location than it is. It goes past wildflower meadows and woodland. Visible around this area were several Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and a House Martin.
DSC_0784.jpegDSC_0754.jpegDSC_0756.jpeg

Guillemot on the Clyde upstream from Glasgow Green last September. I hope it was able to find its way back out to sea. I remember reading lots of reports of lost seabirds last summer.

Just checked and it wasn't Cinnabar moths I saw but Burnet moths. I'm going to go and check again tonight if they're still active to confirm the species.

First time out in a couple of weeks today. Went to Lochwinnoch.

Very large numbers of Canada and Greylag Geese, same for Lapwings.

After the very dry June when water levels had dropped substantially, the waters levels were right back up again following a week of rain and with that the vegetations has grown too meaning it was harder to see birds on the scrapes, although I did manage a quick glimpse of the Little Ringed Plover. I was watching some butterflies from one of the hides when one of the Spotted Flycatchers came out from the trees, just a short distance from where they're usually seen.

There were some other birds around, but it felt a bit quieter than it has been lately, and no sign of the Black-tailed Godwit that was there yesterday - I should have gone to Baron's Haugh as there seemed to be a lot there.

There was someone in a hide taking photos using the biggest lens I've ever seen. Not so much length wise (you see a lot of really long lenses out and about these days) but the width of the lens - must have been 30 cm in diameter or something - a monster of a lens. It was wider than the windows in the hide.

Last edited:
Decided to take advantage of my day off and the break in the rain today so got up nice and early at 0430 and headed to RSPB Loch Lomond. Got there for 0500 and was welcomed by 2 Barn Owls which i spent a good hour with getting photos and just watching one of them hunt infront of me (Nearly hit my head at one point it was that close) first time seeing them properly that isnt just a white streak across a backroad at night.

After they disappeared into the trees I headed further along the path and didnt see much until I got to the Lochside where there was 2 Swifts flying about but no pictures of those speedy flyers unfortunately, then it was further along to the viewpoint to sit for a while and it was a nice while as there was plenty of Canada & Greylag Geese plus a very large group of Goosander not far from shore then the usual 2 Ospreys flew overhead on their morning hunt before circling over to Balmaha. New spot for me down there was a Little Egret that came over and landed just across the water from me.

Didnt see anything for a good 15min so headed back up the path to the woodland and sat there now that it was lighter listening to all the morning songs from the small birds and then a usual loud shout of a Great Spotted Woodpecker but this time a Juvenile so another first for me as it jumped tree to tree banging on the wood looking for insects, could hear a Spotted Flycatcher but failed to lay eyes or camera on it.

Final stretch of stopping on the boardwalk for a bit on the way back to the car, plenty of Reed Bunting, Grasshopper & Sedge Warblers just beside the boardwalk which were fun to watch then a Sparrowhawk low over the reeds before rising up and over me as i frantically tried to get a photo (managed 1 shot which gave me the details I needed) she then disappeared into the trees to enjoy her breakfast which looks to be a young bird of some sort.

That was it for the day as was starting to get a tad warm and I had plans in the afternoon but was a good 5 hours spent in nature so well worth my time. unfortunately no Red Squirrels or Pine Martens seen but with the Pine Marten family very busy right now im going to try get down one evening soon and hope to see them as better chance of getting those in the evening than mornings.

It's quite cool to think that Pine Martens are so close to Glasgow. It makes me wonder if there are populations that are even closer but perhaps haven't been noticed or their presence kept quiet so they're not disturbed.

yeah very close but eluding me it seems everytime im there they are not lol, just home from Loch Lomond and sat watching that feeder for an hour to see nothing but was nice listening to the birds and wind. other than that I did see some Buzzards and the Ospreys but was a very quiet afternoon there as didnt even hear the usual sedge warblers.

Suppose I used up all my luck seeing the Barn Owls at the reserve a few days ago, I will be persistant though and try again for the Pine Martens.

Took a trip over to Arran with a friend for a walk around Brodick. We had some mixed fortune with the weather with showers interspersed with sunshine. It was actually better than was forecast.

On the crossing, absolutely loads of Manx Shearwaters, with Black Guillemots around the harbour areas at each end. Ardrossan Harbour had a few hunting Common Terns. Unfortunately in Brodick I found a Guillemot that looked like it might have bird flu. It was found alive right up against a building and didn't move when people were near it.

Nearby were lots of House Martins as well as a juvenile Wheatear. I also spotted a Golden Eagle above the hills.

Did my first visit to Robroyston Park LNR today as I've been meaning to do it for some time - it doesn't seem to have had much of a mention here. Robroyston RS is I guess one public transport option but its on the far side so I opted to bike it instead, entering via Robroyston Road near the Asda roundabout and leaving by the other side into Rockfield Road. The pond at the south end looked promising on the map but seemed completely devoid of birds when I looked around 6.30am so I meandered up to the north end where there is a group of ponds and reeds which was much better. Here there were a lot of Sedge Warblers, possibly a young family, plus Blackcaps and Whitethroats in the surrounding bushes. There are supposedly Grasshopper Warblers too; I didn't hear any myself though my phone claimed to have picked one out (faint). There were also some Reed Buntings deep inside and a Grey Heron sat in the middle of the pond. A couple of Swallows were swooping around. I stuck to the surfaced paths, there are some grass trail paths too but the grass was wet so I avoided them, also I didn't want to disturb the reed area too much. So given the month it wasn't a bad introduction, probably there is more to see and hear earlier on in the spring/summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back