• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Mass? (1 Viewer)

pudman13

Can anyone recommend places to birdwatch in Western Mass, especially Berkshire county? I grew up there but have not lived in the area in over 20 years. I believe the "bird sanctuary" in Lenox is no longer what it used to be?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will be there in June and July.

As you probably know, Mt. Greylock is highly recommended for the scenery and northerly breeding species that are hard to find at lower elevations at these latitudes, e.g. Mourning Warbler, possibly Olive-sided Flycatcher, etc. (though Bicknell's Thrush no longer breed their, unfortunately). An ABA birdfinding guide to Western Mass was recently published, however. It may be your best source of detailed up to date info.

HTH,
Jim

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend places to birdwatch in Western Mass, especially Berkshire county?

The only places I've been are various corners of Quabbin reservoir, and the Eugene D Moran WMA up in the Berkshires. Neither was among the more interesting places I've been, though I enjoyed each. Moran WMA is a wierd mix of habitats from abandoned farm fields to partially mowed grass to spruce plantations to remnant forest - this is both good and bad depending on what species you want to see. The area near the parking was not too interesting, and wind-whipped, but it got more interesting the further back I got into the trails which pass thorugh abandoned farm fields were bordered by remnant forest.

Moran also has hunting seasons to worry about - the day I was there they were releasing farm-raised pheasants into the partially mowed fields to be shot the next morning by people who apparently are too bored with just shooting at clay targets but can't be bothered to even go through the motions of pretending to "hunt". Linky:

http://www.newenglandgameandfish.com/hunting/ng_aa113403a/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back