• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well Done Hawke-- 8X42 Frontier ED X (1 Viewer)

VonMaunder

United States
I was looking to replace a pair of Minox 8X25 that are always in my bag. Liked their form and build but the optical quality was subpar, coatings are not great, lots of flare, CA. Last time I went to replace these I ended with with a pair of Zeiss 10X40B T*P for a real bargain, beautiful glass, great form, hard to beat within my budget but a bit bigger than the bag allows.

This Spring as the migrants are returning the old frustration with the Minox returned. This time I was going to get something small enough to keep in my Hill People Gear kit bag. Again, began stalking the Zeiss 8X30 B/GA TP on that site, the bino I was originally seeking last Spring when the 10X40s showed up. After many hours of review reading (and a longing for the old days when things just had a "price" without a "point" appended!) from the fine folks here and elsewhere, Hawke ED X seemed a good choice. Found a pair, new for $290, they showed up today and I sure am impressed, can't imagine what a pair of NL Pure have over these to be worth another 3G but I don't want to know! The Hawke are bright, sharp, no CA that I can see, nice form if a little chunky, solid build too. Optically, they are more neutral in color over the warmer Zeiss but very comparable image quality IMO.

Right out of the box I had them trained on a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker boring a drip hole on the top of ~1.5" White Birch branch backlit by sun. His M.O. after tapping the hole on top was to go directly beneath and give a few raps, roll around to the top and take a drink, this went on for over 15 minutes til the upper bore hole started dripping down and off the branch. He would occasionally go below to grab the drops that had formed. All in, he was at it for over an hour, moving between 2 bore wells.

Bottom line-- Kudos to Hawke, well done with a great warranty, reported decent service, I almost don't care that they are made in China.
_27P7295.jpg_27P7305.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back