• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weather in Texas (1 Viewer)

ColinNorth

Could any of our American friends give an indication of the sort of weather I might encounter if I travel to Texas in the second half of November? I am considering such a trip. It will be my first time in the States but if seriously intemporate weather can be expected, I might defer my trip until next year.

I had in mind near San Antonio (hope I spelt that correctly!) area with the oufit called Lens and Land.

Any takers?

Colin

Last edited:
ColinNorth said:
Could any of our American friends give an indication of the sort of weather I might encounter if I travel to Texas in the second half of November? I am considering such a trip. It will be my first time in the States but if seriously intemporate weather can be expected, I might defer my trip until next year.

I had in mind near San Antonio (hope I spelt that correctly!) area with the oufit called Lens and Land.

Any takers?

Colin

The weather in November can vary a lot, it could be daily highs in the hi 70's or even 80's with lows near 50-60, then again you can have a frost at night but by 8 or 9am, will be in the hi 50's or so. Never will cool weather be a problem for more than a day. After saying that, that's in south and central Texas (where I have spent years). Texas is a big place, the panhandle around Amarillo (where I was born) can be pretty cold in November, bitter on windy days. The lower Rio Grande Valley can be and usually is very hot to mild. San Antonio (where I and my wife bore 4 sons) is considered south central Texas and November should be very enjoyable. Hope this helps and Yes, you spelled San Antonio correctly for the english language. In spanish, it comes out San Antonio de Bexar (pronounced as bear. Have a good time, sure you will but do go to the Rio Grande Valley, some of the most prime birding in the WORLD! If you decide to go to the LRVG, drop me a private message and I help you plan an itinery(sp?).

Jaeger near Chicago

Thanks Jaeger, most helpful. We, (my partner Sue and I) are getting married on 19th November. Not being in the first flush of youth, it is our common interest in photography and birding/nature, in particular, that may convince us that the area we need to visit is Texas. I will get in touch by private message in due course if we decide to come over the pond.

Thanks again.

Colin

Colin, my wife and I were married in Austin, just south of San Antonio, in November 2003 (we were not in the flush of youth either!) and the weather was warm and pleasant, not hot. In fact, a couple of days before the event we held a wonderful midnight barbecue with most of my wife's American family! All things being equal, you should be ok weatherwise.

We'll be back in Austin later this month and I've arranged for a member of the local Audubon Society to guide me around the best birding spots. Jaeger01 will give you good advice on the best sites around San Antonio and maybe he can help you link up with a local birder who can show you around, if you would like this; otherwise, I have a San Antonio birding contact who might be willing to help. Have a great time!

When looking at the temps you also need to take into account the humidity which isn't nearly as high in San Antonio as on the coast. Just google the weather in San Antonio. Generally November is mild but it may seem hot to you. Today in Tulsa our high is only 95, humidity is 35% so the dew point is at 60%. It feels like 105.

Here is a sight with Texas birding hotspots http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/ustexas.htm

You can also buy Texas birding field guides or both the eastern and western Sibleys. San Antonio is west enough to get some western birds. When birding be prepared for the catus. Wear long pants, boots and a hat will provide shade.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back