• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Good question, was wondering that. At the mo the sightings seem to be mainly due to the strong easterlies-south easterlies of the last few days so perhaps it'll peter out as it does some years. Saw some on Scilly one October but it didn't come to much. However i haven't seen a Waxwing for quite a while so it'd be great if it was a Waxwing winter! I wonder what is the state of the Rowan crop in Fenno-Scandia and NW Russia.. 🤔🤷‍♂️🤞

I don't think Waxwing arrivals are all that weather dependent, or at least that's not the reason they're moving. It's very unusual to have such widespread records and high counts in mid-October, even in big invasion years. I suspect we will get a lot in a few weeks. I wonder what they will do when they get here. In Aberdeen, there isn't a particularly good rowan crop (normally their staple) and so I don't expect them to stay that long. Suspect they will be on the move for much of the winter, with maybe much bigger numbers than normal further south.

I don't think Waxwing arrivals are all that weather dependent, or at least that's not the reason they're moving. It's very unusual to have such widespread records and high counts in mid-October, even in big invasion years. I suspect we will get a lot in a few weeks. I wonder what they will do when they get here. In Aberdeen, there isn't a particularly good rowan crop (normally their staple) and so I don't expect them to stay that long. Suspect they will be on the move for much of the winter, with maybe much bigger numbers than normal further south.
Works for me... it seems a long time since we've had a big invasion down here!

John

I remember seeing four in the top of a tree late in 2019, 5 miles south of Chesterfield whilst walking a local trail. No bins or camera that day and I haven't seen one since. Would be great to see them this winter.

Today went on a Waxwing quest today went to Dalmany Street Park where they had been spotted sadly I didn’t see them but heard they came back not long after I left very frustrating so I will try again tomorrow morning because the trees have plenty of berries on them.

Last edited:
Once you recognize the trilling sound, that's the easiest way to find them, it's very unique.

Also they bob up & down in flight similar to American Goldfinch. In flight they look like slightly larger goldfinch - often flying in small groups like the goldfinches too. One of my favorite birds. Here in the USA you can buy a shadbush plant and they will show up like clockwork, they can't resist, it's their favorite food. If you have one, they WILL show up, I wonder if you can buy shadbush in Europe?

Saw 5 Waxwings at a park called Montgomery Street Park today. I heard 200 had been spotted there so thought I’d have a look when I arrived I didn’t see see them but after waiting 10 mins 5 appeared and it was great to see them.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    997.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    918.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2109.jpeg
    IMG_2109.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 10
A Question. Hi, First excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.
Here where I like near Huddersfield, I thought after seeing some wonderful photo's of bohemian waxwings, I'd like to try get a few photo's myself. Thinking was the easy bit eh lol. Find the places they feed, yes seen the photo's know the tree types, then you have to find them, ahh plenty around near me, just no birds whenever I go looking this week. These birds are not easy to find are they?
Then when all the berries have more or less gone, then where do you look? It's a wonderful thing doing all the bird things, but it can be very frustrating, especially at my age lol (67). Now I'm sure I will be put on the right track so to speak, in one way or another. Over to you guys , many thanks.
Rob

Rob, they can turn up almost anywhere. Any flock of birds at the very tops of tall trees are worth checking out, as they will perch there for a while at times until they decide that it is safe to fly down to a suitable tree/bush to feed en masse. In flight, they can appear very similar to Starlings with rather triangular shaped wings. They do usually call in flight (which helps) but not always. You might also come across a lone bird (or 2) perched in the top of a tree, or if mild temperatures, the birds may indulge in some flycatching - flying out to grab and insect before landing again. I've found lots of flocks and a few lone birds here in Dundee this winter using these tips. Hope you find some.

Attachments

• SB124608.jpg
    SB124608.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 21
  • SB114136.jpg
    SB114136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • SB114179.jpg
    SB114179.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • SB114384.jpg
    SB114384.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • SB114468.jpg
    SB114468.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • SB053023.jpg
    SB053023.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
A Question. Hi, First excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.
Here where I like near Huddersfield, I thought after seeing some wonderful photo's of bohemian waxwings, I'd like to try get a few photo's myself. Thinking was the easy bit eh lol. Find the places they feed, yes seen the photo's know the tree types, then you have to find them, ahh plenty around near me, just no birds whenever I go looking this week. These birds are not easy to find are they?
Then when all the berries have more or less gone, then where do you look? It's a wonderful thing doing all the bird things, but it can be very frustrating, especially at my age lol (67). Now I'm sure I will be put on the right track so to speak, in one way or another. Over to you guys , many thanks.
Rob

Keep checking regularly. I checked an area early morning and there wasn't even a Thrush and after 30 minutes the same spot was checked again and a flock of 4 appeared which then increased to 11.

I had a flock of about 40 at a local park on the 10th of December 2016 around a cotoneaster tree. They may have stayed a few hours and then reappeared on the 31st of March 2017 for not too long. Random and unpredicatble. The firts sighting of the Waxwing season for our local borough and the last during that particular winter influx.

They are late compared to the 2016 influx for turning up at Blackburn and Barrow in Lancashire which seem to be good regular spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back