• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning - Bull Island Camera Thefts (1 Viewer)

Captain_of_Crunch

YVdpep_re64
Just to let any visiting/resident birders know that there have been a number of incidents in the last few months of birders having cameras stolen from their cars.

The most recent incident involved a birder being assaulted by four individuals and having their camera stolen :C

I heard this behaviour was going on there a couple of years back. One of Irelands top birders had some of his gear stolen from his vehicle. Some advice was put out that the thieves were targeting cars with bird/wildlife stickers on them. The thieves were obviously equating the stickers to rich pickings such as cameras and scopes etc, which are of great value to us birders and sadly, to the thieves.

If birding in high crime areas such as this, then all stickers should be pulled from car windows so as not to draw too much attention. Annoying and sad, but that's the world we live in today.

Si.

I guess it might be even better to not leave valuable items in the car? Of course no help if one is assaulted.

I guess it might be even better to not leave valuable items in the car? Of course no help if one is assaulted.

At least one of the recent thefts was a mugging; the person was on foot and had their gear taken directly from them by 4 burly blokes with eastern european accents. There is not much you can do if that happens and it has scared the ****e out of a lot of local birwatchers.
Des

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back