• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warblers (1 Viewer)

volker sthamer

Would be great if someone could help with ID. All 3 photos were taken at Lake Hawassa, Ethiopia.
Thanks
Volker

Attachments

• 1- lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    1- lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 2 - lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    2 - lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3 - lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    3 - lake hawassa, ethiopia.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 112
Hello Volker,

All your birds are Acrocephalus warblers.

The third one is a Lesser swamp warbler.
The first I would suggest is another LSW. But more images would help (the confusion species in that case would be African reed warbler, but I don't think it is one).
The second bird must be another LSW too, despite the strong looking bill, as Greater swamp warbler does not occur in Ethiopia as far as I know. Furthermore the pale breast does not fit the latter species. Again more images would be preferable.

could image 2 be Basra Reed Warbler? Bill looks a bit big for LSW?

Basra not really an option in that case IMO. With such a close-up picture, I would expect the typical bill shape of Basra to be obvious but I am seeing it here. And the colour of the underparts does not fit Basra either.

Excuse me for joining in here. This question is just for my own education.

I looked at the original post, and there seemed to be so many possibilities that it was way out of my competence. So when Tib went for Lesser Swamp Warbler, I looked it up in 'Birds of East Africa' - Stevenson and Fanshawe - and the bill in those pictures seemed enormous compared to the poster's photos, and the black wing patch wasn't there either. And the tail looks much longer in the book.

Then I looked at 'Birds of the Horn of Africa' - Redman, Stevenson and Fanshawe - which shares many of the same pictures with the other book, and they seem to have re-done the picture to make the bill less prominent, and the tail shorter, but they still look huge compared to these photos.

Any comments?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back