• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers - Samarkand, Uzbekistan (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
A collection of warblers from Samarkand over the past few days, with my best guesses:

1. Chiffchaff?
2. Eastern Orphean?
3. Lesser Whitethroat (terrible photo I know, I do have a short video as well if that would help. It called several times, and it was a raspy whitethroat/Dartford-like 'chair' call)
4. Chiff?
5. Chiff?
6. Chiff?
7. Hume's?
8. Hume's?
9. Asian Desert I believe

I also have this video of a 10th warbler making a call I'm not familiar with... maybe another Hume's??

Attachments

• P1430812.JPG
    P1430812.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • P1450187.JPG
    P1450187.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • P1440295.JPG
    P1440295.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • P1440292.JPG
    P1440292.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • P1440283.JPG
    P1440283.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • P1440264.JPG
    P1440264.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • P1440255.JPG
    P1440255.JPG
    736.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P1440224.JPG
    P1440224.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • P1440187.JPG
    P1440187.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Last image looks like a Desert Warbler.

Image 2. looks like an Orphean, stout bill and a seemingly pale iris (when heavily exposed).

Image 3. clearly a Sylvia, but bill not looking robust enough imo for Orphean, probably Lesser Whitethroat.

Image 4. appears to show a buff pink wash to the chest, am thinking possible Mountain Chiffchaff as are possibly 5 and 6?

Images 7/8 might well be Humes, although how you’d separate one from tother in worn Spring plumage…I wouldn’t know.

Cheers

Last edited:
@KenM I'm not sure how much I trust eBird on Uzbek birds, but it reckons mountain chiff would be significantly out of range in Samarkand.

@James Eaton I'm surprised by #2 being Lesser Whitethroat, it behaved very differently to bird #3 and, to me, looks quite different too. I have a couple more photos showing a different angle on the bill, as well as a black 'masked' appearance which I thought was present in Orphean but not in LWhitethroat?

Attachments

• P1440180.JPG
    P1440180.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • P1440184.JPG
    P1440184.JPG
    976 KB · Views: 31
@KenM I'm not sure how much I trust eBird on Uzbek birds, but it reckons mountain chiff would be significantly out of range in Samarkand.

@James Eaton I'm surprised by #2 being Lesser Whitethroat, it behaved very differently to bird #3 and, to me, looks quite different too. I have a couple more photos showing a different angle on the bill, as well as a black 'masked' appearance which I thought was present in Orphean but not in LWhitethroat?

rylirk, ranges a bit like descriptions, are not necessarily set in stone.
Image 2 might suggest a paler iris, having said that I’ve got images of LW with the same.
Image 1 of the new set does appear to show not insubstantial tertials…not what one might expect to see on LW? 😮

As James commented earlier it is a Lesser Whitethroat, bill way too slight and not long enough, underparts not clean/white enough and, crucially, lacks grey centers to undertail coverts of EOW.

Grahame

There are 2 different (sub)species of LW in Uzbekistan. The mountain breeding althaea, and the lowland breeding halimodendri.

They are separable in the field, albeit tricky, and both are present around Samarkand. I wouldn't be surprised if this accounts for the differences you have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back