• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID? (Connecticut) (1 Viewer)

Barbie Heid

Photographer and critter lover
United States
Hello all! We spotted this guy in Chatfield Hollow State Park (Connecticut) today, 5/24. I'm pretty sure it's a warbler but the black streak is throwing me off. If it means anything, he was calling but no similar calls were returned. It was in the middle of a bog/swamp and was in the company of goldfinches, swallows and cedar waxwings. Thanks!

NIK_7126 final.jpg

Hello all! We spotted this guy in Chatfield Hollow State Park (Connecticut) today, 5/24. I'm pretty sure it's a warbler but the black streak is throwing me off. If it means anything, he was calling but no similar calls were returned. It was in the middle of a bog/swamp and was in the company of goldfinches, swallows and cedar waxwings. Thanks!

View attachment 1511723
Hi. I'm no expert, but it could be a Blue-winged warbler?

Blue-winged Warbler commonly hybridizes with Golden-winged Warbler. This bird is not a first generation hybrid, but the amount of yellow in the wingbars makes me wonder if it might have some Golden-winged in its ancestry. Blue-winged can have a bit of yellow on the wingbars, and I am not sure if this is outside the range of pure Blue-winged or not.

Blue-winged Warbler commonly hybridizes with Golden-winged Warbler. This bird is not a first generation hybrid, but the amount of yellow in the wingbars makes me wonder if it might have some Golden-winged in its ancestry. Blue-winged can have a bit of yellow on the wingbars, and I am not sure if this is outside the range of pure Blue-winged or not.
Hi. If you notice, the image has a very yellow tinge to it, the twigs, light etc, so the wing bars, might look more yellow than they should....... Maybe?

Hi. If you notice, the image has a very yellow tinge to it, the twigs, light etc, so the wing bars, might look more yellow than they should....... Maybe?
Probably. But note at least some of the lichen is yellow. And I think there are apparent contrast effects with the blue sky (i.e. makes things appear more yellow than if the sky were some other colour)

I guess that's possible: Connecticut is within the range of the blue-winged (according to Peterson's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back