• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Aberdeen, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
This is a warbler I saw at Girdle Ness, Aberdeen today (at the Battery). It looks like a Willow Warbler, although I'm happy if someone can persuade me otherwise. Obviously it's a pretty freakish looking one though. We quite often get 'brown' looking Willow Warblers breeding around here but I've never seen one as cold as this and so completely lacking in yellow tones. Can anything be said with confidence about the subspecies involved here?

Attachments

• Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620a.jpg
    Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620a.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620b.jpg
    Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620b.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620c.jpg
    Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620c.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 70
  • Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620d.jpg
    Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620d.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620e.jpg
    Warbler_Girdle Ness_150620e.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the comments. Yakutensis is certainly on the radar. I'm not sure whether they're really possible to ID conclusively, but this seems to show the sort of plumage tones they generally show.

Here's a Yak type from Canary Wharf 2006, it was IC for a number of years with the BBRC, then eventually dropped for whatever reason, certainly dropped my jaw at the time!

Cheers

Attachments

• Yak 2 looking forward.jpg
    Yak 2 looking forward.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Yak.looking back.jpg
    Yak.looking back.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back