• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wall-nesting Sand Martins (Bank Swallows): an appeal for records (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
In recent years, some of us here in Cork have noted small numbers of Sand Martins nesting in holes in stone walls (for example, city centre quays, warehouse walls and so on), as yet mainly in Cork city but also in Mallow, for example. I would be interested in hearing whether or not this habit is known from other parts of this species' vast world range, and, if so, whether or not this is a recent development.
You can post here, or contact me directly at hhussey3_AT_yahoo.com (replace the middle bit with '@'). Any information would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• Juvenile Sand Martins in a wall nest Cork city 22nd June 2014_1.jpg
    Juvenile Sand Martins in a wall nest Cork city 22nd June 2014_1.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 105
They have been nesting like this for years in stone pillars of old bridges in the centre of Wroclaw, Poland.

I think they are digging burrows in the crumbled cement between stones, but surely people from Wroclaw know more.

Harry, the Sand Martins near me in Greystones nest in eroding boulder clay cliffs on the beach. In places there is more boulder than clay, and they actually seem to prefer sections where there is a small amount of sandy clay between the rocks, rather than large clay areas (though they excavate there too). So it would probably be a small step to transfer to walls with loose mortar.

BTW at the risk of going all anthropomorphic, it's a very cute picture

I know a small colony of (?) 5-10 pairs here in Lithuania that are breeding in holes in cement walls to a culvert (actually in hollow metal tubes in the concrete, I suppose for drainage).

In the dim and distant past when I lived in Monmouth (South Wales), they also used to breed in the stone wall just below the historic Monnow Bridge, the wall visible to the left of this image

Thanks for your replies. So, it seems this habit is more widespread than I'd known about, which is hardly surprising. I wonder if it's a recent phenomenon, in the last 30 years or so, or if there are records going back as long as the species has been studied?

Thanks for your replies. So, it seems this habit is more widespread than I'd known about, which is hardly surprising. I wonder if it's a recent phenomenon, in the last 30 years or so, or if there are records going back as long as the species has been studied?

The Monmouth example I spoke of was in the mid-1980s. I presume they may well still breed there, but donkey's years since I've been back.

Harry - I am aware of Sand Martin nesting in drainage pipes in walls by water in central/northern Portugal - as I live in the south I cannot remember where - maybe Gonçalo Elias can provide details if necessary?

Harry - I am aware of Sand Martin nesting in drainage pipes in walls by water in central/northern Portugal - as I live in the south I cannot remember where -

In my area that’s a regular occurrence, but not every year, in 2012 for example there were several small colonies in drainage pipes in urban areas (one near my home) but in the last two year the number of colonies was smaller

The Monmouth example I spoke of was in the mid-1980s. I presume they may well still breed there, but donkey's years since I've been back.
They were still there about 12 years ago, Jos, work has been carried out immediately downstream of the bridge since then though.

Some 10 miles or so upriver from that river Monnow example, there used to be a similar sized colony nesting in drainage pipes in the retaining wall of the car park at the Bridge Inn, Kentchurch, about 40 meters from the river. The photograph here shows where the car park drops below and to the right of the camera position and the wall is maybe 2 meters high. Activity noted on most (8+) visits during the breeding season from approx. 1990-2010. Unsure of current status.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back