• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader, Kilcoole, E. Ireland Yesterday (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Rubbish phone digiscoped pictures, don't you love 'em

Brackish marshland; the wader on the right. Roosting with bill pressed into neck, couldn't get him to wake up. Redshank I guess, though you can see the red on the Oystercatcher's legs I didn't get a red impression from this bird. Also the dark markings on the collar looked different. Bird looked smaller than a Godwit, unfortunately I couldn't get a proper look at bill.

Live scope view showed very neat scaling on the scapulars and finer scaling on the flight coverts. Clean light belly, buff breast with fine brown streaking. Dark collar consisted of denser dark streaks. Bird had clear eyestripe and dense streaked crown.

Hope someone can help this perpetual newbie out.
WaderKilcoole20111016-1.JPG

WaderKilcoole20111016-2.JPG
thanks!

Andrew

Thanks folks, Nick I think you're right with Blacktail. Looked a little small and the neck markings were peculiar but I guess there are some variable transitional plumages areound this time of year. Terrible photo I know Twite but the bird was considerably larger than Knot.

Redshank I guess,
Bird looked smaller than a Godwit,

Live scope view showed very neat scaling on the scapulars and finer scaling on the flight coverts. Clean light belly, buff breast with fine brown streaking. Dark collar consisted of denser dark streaks. Bird had clear eyestripe and dense streaked crown.

Did you even read your own description? The only thing in it that fits Black-tailed Godwit is the eyestripe.

Terrible photo I know Twite but the bird was considerably larger than Knot.

Redshank sized is knot sized.

By the way, the neck marking is ruffled feathers.

It's a knot.

Twite.

Hmm I never thought of a Knot being as big as a Redshank but I guess a large one can be...and those markings had me confused too - sheesh...thanks all. It certainly did have a peachy wash.

Knot is probably the most often misidentified or confusing of the commoner waders. Especially when it's a single. Another is Sanderling, again if it's alone or is not in its usual haunt.

Twite.

Knot is probably the most often misidentified or confusing of the commoner waders. Especially when it's a single. Another is Sanderling, again if it's alone or is not in its usual haunt.

Twite.

and especially from distant blurred photos! ;)

I blurred them just for you :)

Just looked at Knot in Collins and I'll be danged if the fresh juvenile plumage wasn't spot on. It was the collar markings and striking scaliness of the back that had me scratching my head - thanks! And as you say the fact that it was on its lonesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back