• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WA Pelagic Trip Info (1 Viewer)

XRanger

A buddy and I are planning a Washington state trip in August or September of this year. We want to do nine days, with a pelagic trip on each end. We've heard that Wesport Pelagic are the folks to use, problem is, their web site only shows last year's schedule, and I'm not getting any response to my e-mails and phone messages regaring this year's schedule. Anyone know what's up with this? Are they still in business? We need to know so we can proceed with the rest of the trip planning...

Thanks

Hi,

I've researched this for a British friend who will be visiting in late September/early October. After many local emails to the folks at Westport, and to some of the spotters as well, I've been assured that all is well and the new schedule will be posted soon.

The specific response follows:

"Robert,

Please accept my apology for not responding to your previous inquries. We have been struggling with some scheduling issues for this summer and have not yet been able to resolve them so we can finalize our 2008 trip schedule. I expect to have the remaining issues resolved by February 16th. If you are able to wait until that time, I will be sure and write back no later than the 17th with our 2008 schedule. Thanks for your patience."*

So, stand by, and I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

Robert,

Thank you for the information. I was a little concerned when I didn't hear back from them, now I relax (sort of).

A little off the thread topic, but since you're here, can I get your take as a local on can't-miss must-see WA hot spots? We're planning on two pelagics, the coast, the Cascades, and just enough east of the Cascades to pick up species there...

Thanks,

Tim

Robert,

Thank you for the information. I was a little concerned when I didn't hear back from them, now I relax (sort of).

A little off the thread topic, but since you're here, can I get your take as a local on can't-miss must-see WA hot spots? We're planning on two pelagics, the coast, the Cascades, and just enough east of the Cascades to pick up species there...

Thanks,

Tim

Certainly, Tim ...

Here's the itinerary I planned for my British birding friends that nicely coincides with your very interest. It has been edited where appropriate to protect their privacy:

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like additional information:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=126276&stc=1&d=1203182063

Also, the opening chapter in "Birds of Washington State", by Brian H. Bell, contains a great list of Hot Spots, and very detailed range maps accompany each species account.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

Attachments

• WA Birding Itinerary.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 402
Robert,

Much thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. My friend sent me a copy of the book you mentioned, but I've only had time to glance through it. Right now I'm doing a refresher on AZ birds, as my wife and I are going to be doing a 2 week Grand Canyon raft trip in May. I'll have to buckle down on the NW birds when I get back, especially pelagics, which I'm pretty bad at - thank goodness for paid knowledgeable guides...

Tim

Robert,

Much thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. My friend sent me a copy of the book you mentioned, but I've only had time to glance through it. Right now I'm doing a refresher on AZ birds, as my wife and I are going to be doing a 2 week Grand Canyon raft trip in May. I'll have to buckle down on the NW birds when I get back, especially pelagics, which I'm pretty bad at - thank goodness for paid knowledgeable guides...

Tim

Tim,

Check in again when you need it. I'll let you know, what I know.

Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

Westport has really good tours;

You may want to do Manning Provincial Park, just across the border in BC, because, imo, it's one of the easier places to pick up boreal species, if that's what you're targeting.

And definitely do eastern Washington. I was there last summer, as my Dad had a conference in BC. It wasn't a birding trip, but I did manage to pick up a few lifers, mainly in eastern WA.

Can anyone advise whether it's worth looking into pelagics in the period 29th April to 9th May when I'm in Washington State. Are there any running? Will there be anything to see? I've never seen any Pacific procellariformes or alcids.

Thanks,
Graham

Can anyone advise whether it's worth looking into pelagics in the period 29th April to 9th May when I'm in Washington State. Are there any running? Will there be anything to see? I've never seen any Pacific procellariformes or alcids.

Thanks,
Graham

Found this doing a Google search for "washington pelagic". They have a trip May 1, and reports from past trips look promising: http://www.westportseabirds.com/

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back