• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex binocular outsourcing (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,
If Vortex can very successfully make great quality scopes, with tight tolerances, right here in the USA in their new facility in Wisconsin, why can't they also make their binoculars here to, instead of all now being outsourced to China? What is their logic behind that decision?

I thought the only products been made in the new facility were riflescopes, and then only the their top-of-the-line model, and then all the actual glass components are made in Japan.

The rest of their products are made in a mix of China, Philippines and Japan going up the product line. As the most of their products sold are at the lower end it would take a massive investment to get that production into the USA and questionable as to if they could source the required glass in the USA. If they were to refocus their business into high-end only and invest in glass production they could make a stab at being the US Swarovski.

When I spoke with a Vortex rep a couple years ago he told me the only products assembled over here were one spotting scope and one riflescope, and that was in California. Sounds like they’ve expanded the US assembled line up and moved production to Wisconsin? Anyways as stated above most of their other stuff is made in China. Can’t see how it would make economic sense to send Chinese components here for assembly. Vortex is predominantly marketed to hunters who love the “Made in America” products. Since Vortex’s highest profit margin is on the top end it makes sense to assemble them here to drive up sales. Nice to know they are adding jobs here.

When I spoke with a Vortex rep a couple years ago he told me the only products assembled over here were one spotting scope and one riflescope, and that was in California. Sounds like they’ve expanded the US assembled line up and moved production to Wisconsin? Anyways as stated above most of their other stuff is made in China. Can’t see how it would make economic sense to send Chinese components here for assembly. Vortex is predominantly marketed to hunters who love the “Made in America” products. Since Vortex’s highest profit margin is on the top end it makes sense to assemble them here to drive up sales. Nice to know they are adding jobs here.
Do you know which spotter is assembled in U.S.?

I may buy this in ten years when I have the money to spend lol. But I love researching optics even if I can't buy them

I sell TONS of Vortex products at my day job, I can provide a little insight into where things are produced.

Razor UHD binos are made in Japan.
ALL other binos, including Razor HD, are made in China, but I believe the Razor glass is imported from Japan. Don't quote me on that.
Razor Spotting Scopes are made in USA from Japanese parts.
Tripods are made in Thailand.

Riflescopes are China on the low end, Phillipines in the middle, and from the Golden Eagle on up to the Razor Gen II are made in Japan, Razor AMG is assembled in USA from Japanese parts.

I sell TONS of Vortex products at my day job, I can provide a little insight into where things are produced.

Razor UHD binos are made in Japan.
ALL other binos, including Razor HD, are made in China, but I believe the Razor glass is imported from Japan. Don't quote me on that.
Razor Spotting Scopes are made in USA from Japanese parts.
Tripods are made in Thailand.

Riflescopes are China on the low end, Phillipines in the middle, and from the Golden Eagle on up to the Razor Gen II are made in Japan, Razor AMG is assembled in USA from Japanese parts.
I believe this is correct from my conversations with Vortex. Unfortunately moving the majority of their production has also affected QC. When the new MIC Vipers came out I checked them at a sporting goods store. They had two in so I compared them side by side. One had a Focus knob that was almost impossible to turn. The others focus knob was loose and sloppy. In fairness though, this weekend I stopped in a store and checked one out. Much better so perhaps they are cleaning up their act. The thing that I can’t stand about Vipers is all the green reflections in the barrels. I figured out this was due to their eyecup design. It can be overcome by placing eye shields on but then they don’t fit my face and are uncomfortable. Interesting most folks don’t seem to notice the reflections. However whenever I’ve pointed them out, people say oh yeah I see them. I guess they don’t bother others like they do me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back