• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Singapore (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello. My wife and I will be visiting Singapore between 6-11th March 2014 any advice on where to find a bird guide please for either a day or half a day.

Mike.

Try Lim Kim Seng. Visit his site http://birdingsingapore.com.

Besides Singapore, he could bring you to bird over at the nearby lowland forest in neighbouring Johor, Malaysia. This place know as Panti Bird Sanctuary is around an hour drive from Singapore and is the one of the best lowland forest in Malaysia for birding.

I am suprised by looking at the map you say it is only an hours drive from Singapore, it looks a lot further than that. Additionally I think I read somwhere that one has to wtite to the Conservation Group that you wish to visit and get a permit?

I am suprised by looking at the map you say it is only an hours drive from Singapore, it looks a lot further than that. Additionally I think I read somwhere that one has to wtite to the Conservation Group that you wish to visit and get a permit?

It is less than an hour drive after crossing the land checkpoint at Woodlands. Once I crossed the checkpoint, it usually take me 50-60 minutes to reach Panti. For my friends who used to driving fast, they could reach in less than 45 minutes.

As long as someone in the group has the annual Panti Permit, you will not be harassed by the Forestry folks.

You could try birdingpal.

Still no luck, I joined 'birdpal' but unfortunatly so far no one has replied to my emails, not given up just yet

Mike

I am now in Singapore and eventually everything worked out fine. I did not get a reply from Lim Kim Seng but he passed my request onto his brother (another very experienced guide) Kim Chuah Lim, and yesterday my wife and I were collected from our Hotel at 0500am and taken out for the day. We were taken to 7 various sites around Singapore including a trek through the Jungle to find some Owls. We saw a total of 67 birds some common some not so common even one rare Band Bellided Crake which he saved to the very end of the tour. About 2 hours after we were taken back to the hotel I received by email a pdf showing all the birds were saw and where we saw them. I have the email address of KIM Chuah Lim.
I very interesting day 34 degs and very humid, a few Tiger Beers were needed when we got back to the Hotel

Mike

I am now in Singapore and eventually everything worked out fine. I did not get a reply from Lim Kim Seng but he passed my request onto his brother (another very experienced guide) Kim Chuah Lim, and yesterday my wife and I were collected from our Hotel at 0500am and taken out for the day. We were taken to 7 various sites around Singapore including a trek through the Jungle to find some Owls. We saw a total of 67 birds some common some not so common even one rare Band Bellided Crake which he saved to the very end of the tour. About 2 hours after we were taken back to the hotel I received by email a pdf showing all the birds were saw and where we saw them. I have the email address of KIM Chuah Lim.
I very interesting day 34 degs and very humid, a few Tiger Beers were needed when we got back to the Hotel

Mike

Sounds great Mike, absolutely brill. I have just booked a day with Kim when I go in August. I will be well chuffed if I get that many then.

Rob

Sounds great Mike, absolutely brill. I have just booked a day with Kim when I go in August. I will be well chuffed if I get that many then.

Rob

Im sure you will, we only had half a day although he over ran by 2 hours to fit few more rarer birds in. He also speaks perfect English.

Mike.

67 in half a day...gets even better. I had planned to go to Sungei Buloh on my own but a day with a local guide in an air-conditioned car sounds better by far!

Rob

67 in half a day...gets even better. I had planned to go to Sungei Buloh on my own but a day with a local guide in an air-conditioned car sounds better by far!

Rob

I would never have found it on my own and we went on a cool day for Dubai which was still warm enough.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back