• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Norway in June/July - can I join your birding outing? (1 Viewer)

Adriaan

Hi everyone, I am visiting Norway this June/July. I thought it would be cool to combine my visit with birding since I've recently discovered how interesting bird life is.

I want to know how I can get in touch with the local bird groups in Norway so that I can join in on some of their outings. I read that the summer is the perfect month for visiting Hardangervidda, Dovrefjell and Fokstumyra. I also want to visit Runde and Røst for the puffins - someone told me that they saw these in Norway and it apparently made an impression on them. I saw some pictures and they look really cute and I would really love to see them. Is it really expensive to get to Røst? Do you get there from Bodø or how does it work? Near that is Skogsøy which was also a recommended visiting place. What do you guys think? Is it easy for someone like me to join in on local clubs' birding outings, or how does it work?

Also, I read somewhere that Gjesvaer in the North and west of it, the Ekkerøya nesting cliff near Varanger are great places for bird watching.

Please let me know if you guys have any tips! Also, I am planning to use CouchSurfing.com to stay over at people's places since my one friend did that in December and really met nice people that way, but if any of you here are CouchSurfers or are interested in hosting a student and amateur birder like me, then also just let me know about that so that I can make my travel arrangements accordingly. I think it would be really exciting!

Norway is rather larger than you might imagine. Skogsøy (near Bergen) is a LONG way from Runde and Røst. I would have to recommend it as it is my local patch. By June/July things will be getting quieter at Skogsøy with quality rather than quantity.

June/July is the perfect time for the Hardangervidda.

Røst can be reached by ferry or plane from Bodø.

There is an activity calander for NOF that covers most of the country. Not sure how complete it is and the side is in Norwegian but the link is here and may help you find out about local bird club trips.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back