• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visit to Amsterdam (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
I am going to Amsterdam with my wife for a few days at the end of November. Other than sampling the delights of Amsterdam we would like to spend a day birdwatching. Are there any of our Dutch members who know of any good sites that are accessible by train/public transport not too far from Amsterdam

I'm sure some of the Dutch members can point you to a few more .... but i'd start off with the fantastic Naardemeer reserve which is a few miles SE of Amsterdam which adjoins a 'broadland' type scenic area of Ankeveenche plassen, Botshol, and some other places i can't remember the names of.

Leperlaarplassen reserve isn't far, get the train from Centraal station to Almere. Oostvaardesplassen (spelling?) is a bit further along, near Lelystad though i never made it that far. Yet.

Rent a bike from Macbike in Amsterdam and just ... go ... you'll have a great time.

markgrubb said:
I am going to Amsterdam with my wife for a few days at the end of November. Other than sampling the delights of Amsterdam we would like to spend a day birdwatching. Are there any of our Dutch members who know of any good sites that are accessible by train/public transport not too far from Amsterdam

A world famous wetland -Oostvaardersplassen- is situated in the new polder
best reached from Lelystad. You can take the the train from Amsterdam to Lelystad and rent a bike. The area most accessible area is ca. 1 km south-east of Lelystad. There are good observation cabins at the Knardijk and a visitors-centre.

have a good time,
Potvis - Dirk Dijkstra

Last edited:
markgrubb said:

I agree about Nardermeer, it's close to Amsterdam and well worth a visit, although I went in Summer which may have had more variety. There is info about it on the locations section of this site in case you hadn't noticed (I'm sure you have.) I went several years ago and a permit wasn't necessary although I was with a Dutch friend who phoned somewhere to check first. We were then punted around the reserve by a warden, a process that took about a couple of hours. A lot of that coast along towards Lelystad seems good, and I remember going to a reserve very close to Lelystad but can't remember the name. Another option within easy reach of Amsterdam is Texel which you can reach easily from Amsterdam by train to Den Helder and a short ferry crossing.

Enjoy it,
Keith

Waarneming.nl and observado.org

There is a special website for reporting birds in the neighbourhood of Amsterdam, it is called adam.waarneming.nl. On this website you can also find other stuff e.g. dragonflies, mammals and insects.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back