• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking bins (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
Does anyone have any opinions on Viking binoculars?

We were looking at the 10x45 GRs and were very impressed, and at only £259 they seem like a good deal.

Any comments appreciated, thanks. :t:

turkish van said:
Does anyone have any opinions on Viking binoculars?

We were looking at the 10x45 GRs and were very impressed, and at only £259 they seem like a good deal.

Any comments appreciated, thanks. :t:

My comment would be - excellent value for money.

I have nearly that pair, mine are the 8 x 45 GR. I wanted a new pair of bins for general purpose use, bit of birding, bit of astrononmy and so on and had in my mind a budget of £100 - 200 approx. I went to the local optics shop in Norwich, which happens to be Viking's shop. I tried everything from cheapos through to the big boys. And here's why I chose these:
- I couldn't justify £800 plus for top of the range, I'm just not that obsessed
- In broad daylight these seemed just as good as the posh ones
- I know that in poor visiibility a pair of Zeiss would be brighter, but that's not my thing, certainly not for the price
- They are the right size, waterproof, nitrogen filled, and have all the right stuff regarding the coatings and so on
- But here's the biggie that overrides everything else - when I put them up to my eyes I get a beautiful clear image immediately - no fiddling about, no black zones, just a perfect view. I think this may be something to do with 'eye relief'. Not all bins did that for me, and that includes some of the expensive ones and the RSPB ones also sold by Viking.

So there you have it. Everyone says it, and so do I, try before you buy. My guess would be that for the price the 10 x 45 should be as good a buy as the 8 x 45 was for me.

These bins just suited me, no other way of saying it - so I bought them.

Dave

The Vistron models are great too.If you've been trying them in a city shop,why not nip up to Vane farm or over to Lochwinnoch Rspb shops for an 'in the field' look. Tom.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. We did go up to Vane farm Tom, it's much easier to get a feel for them when you're not continually staring at chimney stacks!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back