• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viikki Nature Reserve near Helsinki (1 Viewer)

lazza

Having read a few posts on here before a trip to Finland this week (for work), I took the opportunity during some down time to visit Viikki Nature Reserve, just to the north east of Helsinki (http://www.gardenia-helsinki.fi/viikkinature/index.htm).

And what an amazing place!!

Even though I was wearing my suit(!) I managed to get out into the reed beds on the boardwalks and over to Lammassaari (Lamb Island) to the observation tower. And the variety of habitats and species was fantastic. Really well worth a visit if you are in Helsinki and can spare an hour or two.

Highlights were a wonderful summer plumage spotted redshank, dozens of ringed plover, a "raft" of barnacle geese on the water, a splendid male ruff, close views of a male redstart, countless bleating snipe, and a circling pair of garganey (a lifer for me). Not to mention all sorts of warblers (willow warbler, chiffchaff, blackcap, sedge warbler, reed warbler and whitethroat) and lots of singing skylark!

Last edited:
According to the other thread I read (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=254399) it is accessible by public transport. There was a reasonably large rough car park, as the area seems to also be popular for flushing (the water right next to the car park is more like an urban lake with pavements and steps to the water's edge). I had a car and it was quite easy to get to with a print out from Google maps, so a taxi shouldn't be a problem.

Having reviewed my notes, I also realise I saw a second lifer as there were two large terns with very obvious orange bills on a distant mud bank, which were similar sized to Common gull, so I think must be Caspian tern :)

Last edited:
It sounds as though you had a worth while trip,
ASM the buses are very reliable and pass right by viikki, making it easily accessible.

Well, another work trip to Finland this week, and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at Viikki NR.... and very glad I did so, as I added another couple of lifers!!

Rosbifs - if you are reading, I hope you achieved your target last year, as there was a lovely citrine wagtail present on my visit this week :), while other highlights included a pair of Dark-bellied Brant geese, several stunning male Rosefinch, much closer views of a Caspian Tern than last time, a calling Corn Crake, a very showy Great Reed Warbler and, again, a ridiculous number of other warblers (Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Icterine Warbler, Lesser and Common Whitethroat)

I had a couple of poor visits to Viiki - unfair and only true because I dipped on the Citrine Wagtail. First visit I spent most of my available time by the meadows watching fence posts where it had been a couple of days before.

It apparently has a habit of spending time here then retreating into the reeds to breed. The second visit was spent in the hide in the middle of the reeds where they breed.

I would very much like to spend a couple of days round here - amongst a couple of other 'undiscovered' places in Finland but family time makes things difficult.

Next Finland visit will probably be 2017 - have to persuade the wife that driving was a good idea.

PS You cleaned up!! Didn't get Icterine or Great Reed either and River Warbler (got in Valkeakoski) stopped singing about 10 mins before I got to the tower hide!

It really is a remarkable place so close to the city centre. I was very lucky on my 3 hours spent there before sunset. I must say, the citrine wagtail was a lovely bird, but quite distant views, and the highlight for me was my first really good views of rosefinch. I've seen one once before, in India, and only distantly, but there were several males at Viikki last week singing away in bushes just 5m away, and their startling red colour was really enhanced by the low sun! Wish I'd had a camera (even my crappy compact would have given a decent photo, I think!)

The Nature Reserve that - for me, at least - keeps on giving!!

Back in Finland for a couple of days this week, for work, with only a very short time to get to Viikki Reserve, yesterday, while I killed time before I had to get to the airport.... but even a couple of hours there was enough to add three lifers!!

I also added another six more species to my Finland life list.

Highlights were: excellent views of citrine wagtail in two locations (in reeds by the pond, and on posts near the low platform out in the middle of the reed bed) - sorry rosbifs(!); amazing views of a red-footed falcon (lifer 1) catching insects over the pond, only to be mobbed by a hobby; a common crane flying in low from the south; a couple of flocks of 100+ barnacle geese taking to the air as a female marsh harrier patrolled the grassland; unbelievably close views of a bluethroat (lifer 2) near one of the woodland paths; and a decent sighting of a thrush nightingale (lifer 3) belting out its whistles and chuckles.

What a place!

No need to apologiseI'll see a Citrine eventually! Missed them on migration again this year...

Have you been round the north side for the White-Backed Woody?

No need to apologiseI'll see a Citrine eventually! Missed them on migration again this year...

Have you been round the north side for the White-Backed Woody?

No I didn't even know about it. Will add it to my list for next time, as I'll definitely be heading back there when I get back to Finland!

Out of interest, in the middle of Viikki NR, there was a small copse of these trees, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on ID. I think it's possibly some kind of Salix species based on the presence of the small catkin, but the large spiky flower(?) is something I can't say I've seen before. ANd I can't find much on-line (in English) about the fauna of Finland!

Attachments

• IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 120
I was at the Fastholma side in January for the Azure Tit, also Pygmy Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, but dipped on White-backed Woodpecker there. Is that classed as Viikki NR?

The link at the start (OP) doesn't work for me.

Out of interest, in the middle of Viikki NR, there was a small copse of these trees, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on ID. I think it's possibly some kind of Salix species based on the presence of the small catkin, but the large spiky flower(?) is something I can't say I've seen before. ANd I can't find much on-line (in English) about the fauna of Finland!

It's a probably Salix phylicifolia. Most common Salix-species in Finland. My thought is that catkins become seedcases like on your photo.

Off to Helsinki with work for a couple of days later this month.

I might get an hour or two to spare, so wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out for in winter! Would Viikki NR be worth a visit at this time of year, or anywhere else I could try not too far out of the city? Or any particular speciality of December anywhere nearby?!

Others are better placed but I think White Backed Woody is regular in winter as is Pygmy Owl - see the Azure Tit thread for some directions and tips for other regular birds...

There is Black-throated Thrush (some say it is hybrid, cos red tail feathers etc.) in Helsinki centre. Also there have been Hawk Owl recently in Kaivopuisto. Goshawks here and there. And probably one Siberian Accentor is still near Hietaniemi (somebody heard only yeaterday).
Viikki is always worth to go.

I actually live and work in Viikki -- a great place for birdwatching and wildlife in general (we have badgers, foxes, hares, mustelids, roe deer and there might be some rare visits from lynxes). There is a resident pair of goshawks, a resident pair of ravens just further up north. Easily accessible with bus 68 from the station in central Helsinki. There are also a lot of birdwatching towers and platforms.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back