• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Venice birding (1 Viewer)

annap

I'd be very grateful for some advice with regard to birding within the Venice area - am considering going for a short break with my partner around Jan-Feb. Neither of us have been before so obviously want to see some of the tourist sites as well as taking the opportunity for birding somewhere different but will be short of time. I know about the po delta but we're unlikely to have access to a car so wherever we go will need to be close with good public transport links.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Anna

Our Italian members should be able to help you, but I'll add some info of my own just in case.

I went to Venice in February this year to twitch a long-staying Ring-billed Gull. I haven't heard any reports of it this winter, but it usually appears later in the year. I assume you don't need it, because they've become quite common in the UK. Anyway, the best views can be obtained during high tide from the San Zaccaria vaporetto station.
There were also plenty of Black-necked Grebes and also a single Red-necked Grebe swimming in the Venetian waters.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back