• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various (reasonable), Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

I think you'd see the yellow tail end, even in these shots?

I attach one of mine from CR.
Good point. If I squint I might be able to persuade myself that I can see yellow(ish) ends to the tails in this "reasonable" picture. But without any certainty... (Also trying to convince myself that these are actually fairly short parrot tails rather than longer parakeet ones. The angle makes judging this difficult for me.)

The Crimson-fronted that we saw elsewhere had a really prominent red patch under the bend in the wing, which I don't see here - they were actually what I considered first for those, but dismissed for this reason.
And what about the fact that it essentially is the wrong coast for Olive-throated?
Niels

And what about the fact that it essentially is the wrong coast for Olive-throated?
Niels

That is a good point. I checked ebird map briefly and it seemed it occurs on Osa, but zooming in ... there is just on odd record, so it probably does not occur - as Osa is quite overwatched :)

I might be wrong, but most ID's seem fairly doable or even straightforward to me:

1, 2: juvenile Sooty-headed Chlorospingus seems proven to me. Probably the trickiest of the lot

3: Crimson-fronted Parakeet

4: Probably Red-lored Parrot based on tail pattern

5:Yellow-bellied Elaenia
6: I'd have called this a Melodious Cowbird, but if you saw a female nearby then probably Shiny
7: Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
8: Mistletoe Tyrannulet
9: Ruddy Quail-dove

Quite sensible IDs - considering every other larger parrot we saw flying around was Red-lored for example ... and the other IDs mostly agreee with rpevious consensus of the thread, so I think this topic is now quite settled for me!

I might be wrong, but most ID's seem fairly doable or even straightforward to me:

1, 2: juvenile Sooty-headed Chlorospingus seems proven to me. Probably the trickiest of the lot

3: Crimson-fronted Parakeet

4: Probably Red-lored Parrot based on tail pattern

5:Yellow-bellied Elaenia
6: I'd have called this a Melodious Cowbird, but if you saw a female nearby then probably Shiny
7: Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
8: Mistletoe Tyrannulet
9: Ruddy Quail-dove
Not sure the bill is right for Melodious Blackbird?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back