• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vange Marsh this morning (2 Viewers)

The female Red-backed Shrike that was found at 6am was still present at 1.30pm though extremely mobile and often elusive, but did show well on occasion.

There were also 2 Spoonbill with one flying off at 8.20am and a couple of drake Garganey and a Cuckoo still.

An entertaining morning

Going to try for the shrike tomorrow.

Appsrantly there are two black necked grebes there,reported on sightings board this week.
But there seems to be no other info on SOG or Essex birders,is this a case of mistaken identity??

images of the shrike and spoonbill from today

There were two Black-necked Grebes a week or so ago on West Canvey Marshes RSPB reserve, not Vange Marshes. I don't know of any sightings board at Vange

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike female Vange Marsh 110611 WEB 657.JPG
    Red-backed Shrike female Vange Marsh 110611 WEB 657.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Spoonbil Vange Marsh 110611 WEB 310.JPG
    Spoonbil Vange Marsh 110611 WEB 310.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 85
images of the shrike and spoonbill from today

There were two Black-necked Grebes a week or so ago on West Canvey Marshes RSPB reserve, not Vange Marshes. I don't know of any sightings board at Vange

Excellent shots of the shrike and spoonbill, Steve.

BTW The sightings board, which I mentioned to Rob on another forum , is at Wat Tyler CP. The West Canvey grebes were only mentioned on that sightings board and the SE Essex Marshes blog. I never saw them referred to anywhere else.

well, early afternoon -

Sedge, Cetti's, Reed and Grasshopper Warblers, Reed Bunting, Common Sandpiper, Greenshank, 3 Spotted Redshank and Sparrowhawk

From memory this 'may' be the first Grasshopper Warbler for Vange Marsh this year. Traditionally they have been on the slopes of the old landfill tip now heavily vegetated and probably best heard from by the saline pool blind. If the bird(s) are in that area then I would say there is a little chance of seeing it and even if it is sitting up it would be a significant distance for a scope view.

If it is elsewhere around Vange you may have more chance but Groppers reel far less now at this time of year and a very early still morning would probably be needed.

The best location for Grasshopper Warblers is Two Tree Island, again early morning is best, with at least four reeling birds there earlier in the spring, often showing very well in the traditional areas. They may be more difficult to find now as most birds will now be concentrating on finding food for young rather than proclaiming territories, there will still be some however singing their heads off so still worth a try but far greater probability of not seeing them.

Steve,

This was up by the extraction ditch. I saw an LBJ flit into a bush so I sat down and tried to view it. I heard a few bursts of reeling, so I was happy with the id but it never showed itself again.

However there was one yesterday morning at Rainham Marshes by the sea wall that sang for about 30 minutes. A few lucky ones saw it clearly but the rest of us were unlucky.

The best views this year were at Two Tree Island when the Night-heron was the star of the show.

How easy to find are the Groppers? I have never seen one.

What I would suggest that if you want to catch up with Grasshopper Warbler is make a visit to Two Tree Island next April when the reeling birds often sit right out in the open mere feet from the path.

Usually birds arrive from end of the first week of April and will increase in numbers towards the end of the month. Both this year and last the highest numbers and the best views were over the last weekend of April. Last year at least 8 reeling birds could be seen across the west end of the islands, this year at least 4. A calm, still and warm morning from around 5.30/6.00am through to around 10am will be best. After 10am birds begin to stop reel and become a lot harden to find. For some reason they reel and show less in the evening.

This time of year I think its a case of bumping into one.

What I would suggest that if you want to catch up with Grasshopper Warbler is make a visit to Two Tree Island next April when the reeling birds often sit right out in the open mere feet from the path.

Usually birds arrive from end of the first week of April and will increase in numbers towards the end of the month. Both this year and last the highest numbers and the best views were over the last weekend of April. Last year at least 8 reeling birds could be seen across the west end of the islands, this year at least 4. A calm, still and warm morning from around 5.30/6.00am through to around 10am will be best. After 10am birds begin to stop reel and become a lot harden to find. For some reason they reel and show less in the evening.

This time of year I think its a case of bumping into one.

Thanks for the information. I actually saw one at Rainham on Wednesday. ;)

well, this afternoon from 1315 until 1700:-

Saline lagoon - 5 Little Egret, 3 Cormorant, 7 Spotted Redshank, 2 Green Sandpiper, 40+ Lapwing, Common Tern, Dunnock, Sedge Warbler, Cetti's Warbler (heard), Reed Bunting.

Brackish lagoon - 7 Green Sandpiper, 3 Spotted Redshank, Bearded Tit (heard), 2 Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, 4 Avocet, Curlew (heard), 3 Swift, 3 Swallow, 2 House Martin, 5+ Sand Martin, Common Snipe, 4 Cormorant, 3 Teal, 10+Tufted Duck, 8 Little Grebe, 10 Great Crested Grebe, 10+ Pochard, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, 12 Stock Dove.

Well I must say that I've had very good luck this year with my visits to Vange Marsh this year. When I visited in June, I chose the right day to go as the Red-Backed Shrike and Spoonbill were present. On sat 25th, I also managed to pick up a few more year and life ticks. The weather was lovely particularly in the morning and in the end I stayed all day, when I had originally intended to make a flying visit for the Spotted Redshank before heading over to Rainham for the afternoon.

Besides the Spotted Redshank on the main lagoon, there were also small numbers of
- Redshank
- Green Sandpiper
- Curlew
- Avocet
- Ruff
- Snipe
plus good numbers of Teal and Wigeon.

The birds in the reedbeds proved more elusive, but patience finally bore fruit with a couple of Reed Bunting and Bearded Tit revealing themselves, but the Cetti's Warblers remained well hidden.

There were also afternoon visits by Sparrowhawk and Kestrel, a mid-morning visit from a Peregrine and visits both early and late in the day from a Marsh Harrier which was definately the highlight of the day for me. I recorded 51 Species in the day which closely matches my best 'score' at Rainham too.

There were also a few butterflys about including 2 Green-veined White and at least 3 Red Admirals.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back