• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US State Dept. on travel in Mexico (1 Viewer)

Something similar was in effect when I visited Mexico in 2000. We rented a car and drove around for two weeks, starting from Mexico City, cirkling through Chiapas and back. Everything went fine.

<rant mode on>As usual in the US, dangers are highly exaggerated, because otherwise it is likely you will be hit by a gigantic law suit from the one victim of crime. <rant mode off>. Consider for yourself if the dangers of visiting Mexico are really that much worse than visiting a big city in the US.

Niels

Tend to agree with NJL. Foreign Offices (State Depts) tend to be ultra-conservative to protect their own backs. That's not to say that you shouldn't be cautious but if you took their advice too seriously you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. I've just got back from Barcelona (the "theft capital of the world"). Took sensible precautions like not flashing expensive cameras and staying aware - no problems.

Enjoy your travelling.

Look at the distribution of warnings: concentrated in urban areas near the US border. Nothing birders need worry about: there aren't any endemics in Tijuana and Juarez.

Jaeger,
I pretty much agree with what others have said. I lived in Mexico (Campeche) for 5 years and loved it. As noted, the border areas and in my opinion Mexico City are probably the most dangerous places. The suggestion to avoid driving at night where possible is excellent advice both due to crime as well as some pretty dark, rough roads where a traffic accident could be the biggest safety concern.

There are a number of good trip reports on BF in relation to birding in Mexico that might help give you an idea of what to expect. Also, if you have any specific goals or areas you'd like more info on just post a query and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

Buen Viaje!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back