• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
:hi: I have just today upgraded my opticron imagic 10-32 bins, for a pair of opticron DBA 8-42s and they are FANTASTIC, its like starting birding again i never thought it would make such a difference but the bright clear image is truly superb, if you use optricon and are looking for a change try them.
bert.:t: :t:

And so they should be for the price, Bert... But did you see any more birds with 'em? I reckon for the price of these top bins they ought to have a homing device on the front.

Worth every penny.

scampo said:
And so they should be for the price, Bert... But did you see any more birds with 'em? I reckon for the price of these top bins they ought to have a homing device on the front.
I thought the price compered to LEICA & Swarovski, cheap, at least i dident need a second morgage. And no i did not see any more with them but what i did see was very good, clear bright, with good detail, so i was a happy birder.
bert.;)

Well, I wouldn't call £550 cheap, but it does give you a couple of hundred + to spare next to Swaros.

scampo said:
Well, I wouldn't call £550 cheap, but it does give you a couple of hundred + to spare next to Swaros.

We're not all well to do Swarovski/Nikon scope/binocular users you know! 8-P

They will last though.

scampo said:
No Steve they are not cheap, but I based the upgrade on the fact they should last me for a long time without another change, in another 30 years i will be 80ish so with that in mind i took the plunge.
bert.B :)

I don't blame you either Bert. I regret not buying a decent pair of binoculars myself years ago. Opticron make superb optics. I have a pair of Opticron 10x42 Hi-res which were forerunners to my Leicas which I still like to use - much lighter and of course a traditional design.

bert said:
No Steve they are not cheap, but I based the upgrade on the fact they should last me for a long time without another change, in another 30 years i will be 80ish so with that in mind i took the plunge.
bert.B :)
Exactly how I feel me and the wife had been using pentax 8X25 lightweight bins for years we could afford either a scope or bins but not both and went for the scope that was 4 years ago, november last year we came into a bit of cash and bought leica ultravids most of our non birder friends say HOW MUCH!!! but the way I look at it I will probably never buy another pair of bins! by the time the warrantry runs out I will be 75 and I cant imagine anyone bringing out a pair of bins that are so much better that I can justify pulling out that much cash again
So you have done the right thing buy the best you can and enjoy them :mad:)

Hi Denis. For the last 26 years I ihave been using the old Zeiss Jena 10x50 bins. I have saved up and finally bought a pair of 10x42 Leica ultravids, I will be in my 80s when the Warranty expires so I cannot see any reason for me to buy another pair.I really enjoy and get a lot of pleasure from my new bins and I hope you and Bert get as much pleasure from yours. Cheers John.

I had those Jenas for twenty years and now my brother has them - he's about to upgrade as he dropped them and can't quite focus. I'll ask him to look at those Opticrons but I think he's after a pair of Nikons.

scampo said:
I had those Jenas for twenty years and now my brother has them - he's about to upgrade as he dropped them and can't quite focus. I'll ask him to look at those Opticrons but I think he's after a pair of Nikons.

He should be able to get them re-collimated by a optical repairer for not too much readies. (BTW It sounds a bit like your family are starting a religion based on Nikon!)

"...It sounds a bit like your family are starting a religion based on Nikon!" - Leif

Of course! Not you? It's wonderful. The only problem at the moment (but we're just starting, you understand, so don't let this put you off) is that I'm only allowed to point the scope in one direction - towards Osaka. Oh, and I can only look through it during the hours of darkness. It seemed a bit daft when I started but you get used to it. After all, it's the intangible benefits that count (or so they told me when I joined up - I'll let you know when I feel them...).

Oh, and at least you pay your cash up front - none of this ten per cent tithe system nonsense with Nikonohgreatone.

Hi Bert, they are fantastic bins.

My old man bought a pair just after I splashed out £150 more on some Leicas.

I seriously can't tell the difference optically & they are a lighter weight.

I have an Opticron ES80 scope that is also superb and incredibly good value.

How do they manage such good quality at such low prices? (well relatively!)

Nikon 8x32 HG

Although slightly OT, anyone who is thinking of upgrading to Nikon 8x32 HG will be interested to know that my wife's 2 week old pair are up for sale. See link below in the "for sale" forum for more details. Absolutely nothing wrong with them optically or otherwise, they just did not "suit" her personally. I would keep them for myself, but I already have fine EL bins and don't need two.

Cheers
Niall
Email: [email protected]

Link:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=12534

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back