• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x25 DBA Oasis WP v. Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Yesterday on the beach viewing conditions were very compromised by heat, high humidity, mostly solid overcast conditions and steady 17mph winds coming straight off the Gulf which kicked a lot of spray off top of the breaking waves. The image of the now discontinued 10x25 Oasis was clearly brighter than my MIJ Terra 8x25 which surprised me. I'm no expert, maybe this noticeable difference resulted from the 10x and/or superior glass and coatings on the Oasis(?). The relatively wide for a pocket 10x 315' FOV of the Opticron (also MIJ) may have been a factor as well. During a few brief interludes of bright sunlight, close in views of shore birds were excellent in all respects with both as expected.

For anyone reading with interest it appears there are a few NOS Oasis 10x25 still available from European retailers. I haven't seen an 8x21 Oasis (also excellent) available either NOS or used in several years nor have I tried any of the newer Opticron pocket models, but based on my experience with the Oasis series and comparisons with other makes, Opticron pockets are outstanding bins in the mid priced range.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back