• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up the Hill (4 Viewers)

Hi Joe

Thanks for that... wish they'd come inland a bit though:-O

Still rather quiet although there appear to be plenty of Meadow Pipits, which flew up when I walked the moor to investigate this. The concensus appears to be a Merlin, really, which I'm inclined to go for as that post does not appear to have been used before.

No sign of the Little Grebes now and only the adult Moorhens are around.

There's now an eclipse Wigeon in residence - the first I've seen there since the winter of '06. Only one Tufted Duck now, which flew a couple of circuits of the loch, landed again, then flew off.

D

I knew it, I just knew it

No a lot happening of late. There was a juvenile Dabchick last week but no sign of either adult - all missing today, along with the Moorhens; however a pair of Mallard have returned.

There was a distant far off view of the male Hen Harrier over near the windfarm last week, so I was really pleased to see him again.

A few Linnets flying over along with assorted corvids and Wood Pigeons. Meadow Pipits are still present and I was thinking that's about it then.

With nothing to keep me interested on the water, I thought I'd try out my new hip with a walk round the pasture field. I got to the far end with still nothing, apart from hearing a Buzzard. So rather than re-tracing my steps, or facing the climb, I decided to cut back across the middle of the field (chasing the inquistive cattle off half-way across).

I'd just got rid of them when a movement above my head made me look up.... Jeesy peeps what's that????? Good grief! I knew I'd see one one there eventually - a Red Kite.:D:D:D I watched it for some time flying round before it dipped below the hill somewhere on the moor.

When I got back to the car I drove to a spot where I had a good view over. No sign, dammit. Then a Raven flew across, near where I thought the Kite might be and woweee up it came. Again I watched him fly, but this time away off into the distance.

I'm a happy bunny this evening:-O

D

I'd just got rid of them when a movement above my head made me look up.... Jeesy peeps what's that????? Good grief! I knew I'd see one one there eventually - a Red Kite.:D:D:D I watched it for some time flying round before it dipped below the hill somewhere on the moor........

.....Again I watched him fly, but this time away off into the distance.

I'm a happy bunny this evening:-O

D

:clap::clap: Great news! Where's it come from?

:clap::clap: Great news! Where's it come from?

Hi Joanne

Ah! that I'm not sure about... I couldn't see if there were any wing tags.

There's a new release area at Aberdeen, the other close one is near Stirling, so it could have been either, I suppose.

There's also populations in the Black Isle and Dumfries - it will be great when they start meeting up.

D

Jeesy peeps what's that?????

Americans term small sandpiper types as peeps, but a jeesy peep, hhm, not sure -did you mean Cheesy Peep, then maybe a very bright Little Stint? ;)

Good grief! I knew I'd see one one there eventually - a Red Kite.:D:D:D I watched it for some time flying round before it dipped below the hill somewhere on the moor.

Now this being Bird Forum, we should be calling for a description, but I'll settle for wow, good one - can imagine indeed that made your day.

Americans term small sandpiper types as peeps, but a jeesy peep, hhm, not sure -did you mean Cheesy Peep, then maybe a very bright Little Stint? ;)

Ah! I see you've returned suitably equippped with all the Americanisms;) Actually I was just being polite on here... it's not what I really said:-O and even I know that it was much, much bigger than a Little Stint!

Now this being Bird Forum, we should be calling for a description, but I'll settle for wow, good one - can imagine indeed that made your day.

Will a long forked tail do?:gh:

D

Will a long forked tail do?:gh:

The committee has considered your description and, allowing for variable factors and memory lapses that may or may not have occurred relating to other features, decided that the presence of a forked tail does indeed eliminate all other birds (bar moulting anythings) possibly present 'up the hill' and thus it has been accepted. Congratulations.

The committee has considered your description and, allowing for variable factors and memory lapses that may or may not have occurred relating to other features, decided that the presence of a forked tail does indeed eliminate all other birds (bar moulting anythings) possibly present 'up the hill' and thus it has been accepted. Congratulations.

Gosh! What a relief:-O

I'll bow to their superior judgement and add it to my list thenB :)

D

Congrats D. Overall, I'd say you had a very good day ;)

LOL KC yes, you could say that. Rather pleased my hip held out too - I just need to get more confidence in it. But I just couldn't believe my eyes when I looked up and saw the Kite!

D

The Kite gives you all the more reason,for going back "up the hill" and as well as possibly being rewarded with more sightings of the bird,hopefully,your walking shall improve as well Delia. :t:

The Kite gives you all the more reason,for going back "up the hill" and as well as possibly being rewarded with more sightings of the bird,hopefully,your walking shall improve as well Delia. :t:

Thanks Ben... I do really need to exercise it more, so I've now got the perfect excuse

I must admit to being surprised that I sited a Kite there so soon.

D

i passed your way yesterday delia,i tried to come in on the high road but the road was closed so i came in through blair and got lost, i kept an eye out for the kite but had no luck,a few buzzards had my hopes up but they all turned out to be buzzards,i saw 3 magpies which took my days total to 8 (5 at lintrathen)they must have had a good year,ps looking at the tree in the small pic you have (the lochan)i think i may have been there,i have a pic of it ill post it when i find it

Hi kawwauser

Yes, the Tullymurdoch road has been closed daytime for weeks now... and I've no idea how much longer either. How can you get lost in Blair:-O

If you saw 'a' tree... that'll be it! LOL

Magpie sightings seem to be becoming more frequent in the area, don't they?

D

found those pics delia,what a beutifull little spot you have there,ive re read your posts on this spot and im impressed by the amount of birds you have recorded in such a small area,i can see why the little grebes liked this spot
IMG_1049b.jpg

IMG_1048b.jpg

Yeah! That's it - what a lovely angle you got - bet you got your feet wet taking them:-O

How long ago were they taken?

D

i was using an ultra wide lense(sigma 10-20) its great you point the camera straight ahead and the lense picks up every thing from right in front your feet to high up in the sky
IMG_1051.jpg

blair.jpg

crail.jpg

Nice pictures kawwauser - where did you take the middle one from?

Still remains very quiet, though the weekend did prove that there was still a Moorhen and a pair of Mallards on the loch.

I walked all round the pasture field (after the rain went off) loads of assorted corvids and Woodpigeons. Returning to the moor, I was very pleased to see a party of four Stonechat, then several Meadow Pipits took to the air.

D

Still not much going on. Mallards now 8, and having not seen one for a bit a Moorhen is still present.

Still a few Meadow Pipits, but I'm only aware of their presence if I walk onto the moor and disturb them.

Mostly it's Crows, Rooks and Wood Pigeons. Buzzards are in the far distance, so can't really say they're countable on the Patch at the moment.

A few Ravens going about, and the other day one of them chased a Kestrel across the moor into the forest where I lost them.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back