• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Vocalization in Eastern USA - Phoebe? (1 Viewer)

TicoTyler

Tyler Wenzel
Costa Rica
I was processing some recordings I made on a recent trip to the United States. I initially thought this recording was of an Eastern Phoebe, but it doesn't seem to match up well with that. Talking to a few people they suggested maybe a very vagrant Black Phoebe? For now, I've uploaded it as bird sp. to eBird to share the recording and see if anyone can ID it.

Interesting. Doesn't sound like a local (So Calif) Black Phoebe to me, nor does the sonogram look like any of the calls in Nathan Pieplow's book, but it does look reasonably close to the second call in the most-recent version of Merlin which is from February 2018 by Paul Marvin, and BirdNET identifies it as Black Phoebe.

It seems to be a combination of the Pi-teer vocalization in Pieplow's book with another vocalization someone sent me that was documented in a 1970 paper on display calls in Phoebes. A local reviewer said he's heard that call usually in April when they're establishing territories and I did see two Eastern Phoebes in close proximity.

1715465693687.png1715465716293.png

1715465750984.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back