• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unidentified wren in La Mesa, Cundinamarca, Colombia (2 Viewers)

Kirk Dean

United States
Hi, all. New to forum. I snapped a few pictures of this wren (I think it is a wren) on April 18 near La Mesa, Colombia. Foothills of the Cordillera Orientale west of Bogota in the Magdalena river basin. Elevation approx 1100 meters. Area was mix of low-density residential and farmland with fair amount of undeveloped land. The bird stayed in cover, thus my ISO was high and resolution not great. My first reaction was to think it was a largish house wren. Merlin did later identify a house wren singing in an area about 300 m away, but Merlin is not all that accurate in Colombian bird songs yet. It had solid brown back and kind of buff belly. There was no apparent barring that I can see, and really no eye stripe or supercilium to speak of. It either had a little crest or just a bad hair day. Attaching my photos unaltered except for crop. Please see if you can help identify it. Thanks

Attachments

• MXT45977.jpg
    MXT45977.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 28
  • MXT45978.jpg
    MXT45978.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 25
  • MXT45979.jpg
    MXT45979.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 23
  • MXT45980.jpg
    MXT45980.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 27
I think you are correct. Thank you so much. Somehow I thought antshrikes had longer, less wren-like tails, but this would explain color, crest, lack of eyestripe, facial pattern.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back