• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid (1 Viewer)

dries1

One has to admit, it is one fine looking binocular.

s-l1600.jpg

Gotta love a Leica...... I keep thinking about getting another Leica binocular, I have Zeiss and Swarovski, but I do love Leica:love:

For me, the ranking in terms of the beauty of the binoculars, generally speaking, is as follows:
1 Leica (eg. this Ultravid, Trinovid/Retrovid)
2 Nikon (eg. Nikon E2, Nikon Monarch HG)
3 Swarovski (eg. Habicht 8x30)

Yes. The haptics are top-notch, as on the Retrovids.

The 8x32 have the same hinge as the 8x42, which looks out of proportion, even on the ultra-expensive Hermès special edition.

The Safari is nice, and that is indeed one of Leica's most attractive bins, but for me black is always the only colour for a Leica! ;)

Why are the safari so much more expensive??
Better optics, or just rarer?
I think there are only 100 units of each configuration and they come with different accessories. The optics are the same as far as I know.

I'd sell my car for Noctivid optics in a UV safari housing.

Mine came with a fitted molded hard leather case. I believed at some point mid-production they stopped including that, just the run-of-the-mill cordura bag instead, which is nowhere as nice.

It's shown here: Company Seven | Leica ULTRAVID 8 x 42 BL and 10 x 42 BL Binoculars

The Safari at least seems to include the French-made Aneas case, which was sold for $350 by itself. It's odd they included the tan version instead of the matching olive green one.

Aneas case

ZDHart, I agree. The “industrial design” of the UVHD+8x32 is extremely difficult to beat in terms of function and form.* I am hesitant to say that the elegance factor of the BL and safari models, which are indeed very chic, detracts from their usability to me; but maybe I should think differently. Enjoy in good health.

* this statement should not belittle the functionality of the UVHD+ 7x42 and the Noctivid 8x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back