• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two (Lesser) Kestrels Pyrenees - last night and today (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Two photos that I now think are Lesser Kestrels - they are everywhere at the moment - 17 Bagneres, 5 Ger and apparently 18 where these pictures were taken tonight!

One I'm mainly focussing on the nail being white and the other no moustache. There must be some structural hints as well...

I agree that the bird in pic 2 can't definitely be seen to lack a black moustache given the shade, lighting etc. But could it be a 1-year-old male lesser kestrel, with adult head and still with juvenile upper body and brown rather than grey greater coverts?

But could it be a 1-year-old male lesser kestrel, with adult head and still with juvenile upper body and brown rather than grey greater coverts?
1-year-old yes, juvenile upperparts no, for several reasons:

a) the bird is growing new tail feathers, and these already show a blue-grey colour. Mantle/scapulars are replaced before tail feathers in kestrels. Pretty sure that the primaries are being moulted too.
b) the bird is moulting its wing coverts; many of these feathers (and some tertials) are missing. Mantle/scapulars are replaced before the wing coverts and tertials.
c) Lesser Kestrels replace their juvenile body feathers (including mantle and scapulars) during their first winter. By April - May of the 2nd calendar year, they therefore already lack spotting on the upperparts.
d) A bird with retained juvenile scapulars in August of the 2nd cal year makes no sense, particularly not when it is replacing primaries and tail feathers (i.e. is going through the complete moult).
e) A juvenile pattern on the upperparts consists of blackish bars, not scattered, bold black spots as in this bird.

Check photographs of (2CY+) male Lesser Kestrels from August on eBird or Observado and you will find none with spotted upperparts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back